In the news … Harry Winston is going to buy Diavik! Or Ekati! … We explore all the different ways to make fun of diamond commercials … And the very strange tale of Miley Cyrus’ diamond-eating dog … All below …
New Jersey jewelers cited for alleged gold-buying violations.
– Jewelers say they were “set up.”
– Store owners push reporter, cameraman.
Former Indian sightholder Classic Diamonds in trouble.
– Company notice. (PDF)
Belle Étoile president Jim Grohn resigns.
David Yurman snags LVMH, Anthropologie veterans.
Pandora sales fall, appoints new North American president.
– J.C. Penney sees huge sales, profit decline.
– Vendors feeling pain.
– CEO speaks again.
– Johnson “soothes fears.”
– Ad Age weighs in.
Harry Winston secures funding to buy Ekati.
Rio Tinto has “multiple options” to sell diamond assets.
– Rio diamond production rises in first half.
Diamond prices “may rebound.”
– Polished prices plummet in July.
Another diamond ETF attempt.
– Patent granted.
Economy “gaining traction.”
The Kimberley Process: Can’t blame the KP Chair for trying.
– Chaim Even-Zohar opines on the implications. ($)
KP 2011 Stats:
– Global diamond production falls.
– Botswana top producer by value.
– Russia, by volume.
– Avi Krawitz: Stats show “vastly different industry.”
Diamond looting “persists in Zimbambwe.”
Alleged “blood diamond” smuggler arrested.
Diamond aggregation moves to Botswana.
De Beers not selling South African marine rights.
Alrosa plans to bid for competitor.
Is Blue Nile “back”?
Kenny G: Diamond industry must remember the consumer.
Engagement rings “that tell a story.”
Should jewelers repair counterfeit watches?
– Website sued for selling counterfeits.
Study: Funny ads don’t always sell product.
Teenage cancer survivor creates jewelry line. Very sad, sweet story.
Jeweler loses 11 stones in 15 months.
Machine melts diamonds.
How accurate is Olympic time-keeping?
Steve McQueen watch fetches $799,500.
Diamonds found in sewer.
Miley Cyrus claims dog ate her diamonds.
Business Insider on how diamonds are mined.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.