In the news … Rubedo gets the good-to-go … A diamond mining company becomes an election issue … And we ponder the future of Mom and Pop retailers, once again … All below …
J.C. Penney CEO: Sales are declining less.
– Strategy “still way off.”
-My thoughts: The ugly news keeps getting uglier.
Report: Neiman Marcus planning IPO.
July retail sales score solid gains.
– Retailers hope for better winter than summer.
– Only thing that will fix the economy: “Time.”
– Can jewelry be sold “hands on”?
Tiffany claims for new metal okayed.
Big billionaires buy into gold. U.S. demand still falling.
Over 40 possibly dead during platinum mine strike.
– South African live-blog.
– Updates on Twitter.
De Beers moves sorting to Botswana—two months early.
– Local newspaper crows: “History made.”
– Avi Krawitz: “Botswana rises.”
– Botswana govt. to auction gems next year.
Botswana feeling diamond market slump.
Anglo American shareholders unhappy with CEO.
Lev Leviev’s Namibian factory collapses.
Zimbabwe mine replaces fired workers.
Swarovski forced labor claims spark probe.
KP chair Milovanovic talks to Fairjewelry.org.
U.S. plans new diamond importation rules.
FTC extends time for commenting on jewelry guides.
Diamond mine stock scam raised in Nevada Senate race.
New flight connects Indian diamond centers.
Harry Winston sues local retailer over “Winston” name.
Rolex claims e-tailer’s watches aren’t all real.
Etsy issues new list of prohibited items.
The daily deal business model “is dead.”
Bidz revenue down.
Former Pandora president joins Fossil.
Scio Diamond adds new board member.
Cindy Edelstein wins small business influencer award. Congrats, Cindy.
Marc Choyt wins sustainable leadership award. Congrats, Marc.
Israeli prime minister praises country’s diamond industry.
Diamonds may help with climate change.
The structure of diamond’s “cousin.”
Designer “struggles” to introduce blood diamond-themed video game.
Diamond cutter opens gelato shop.
Jennifer Aniston’s engagement ring.
– “Infographic” on celebrity engagement rings.
– BBC interviews head of Singapore diamond fund. (Video)
– Bloomberg on whether De Beers will come to the U.S. (Just talked to De Beers; obviously, the company is not planning U.S. cutting factories.)
– International Business Times on De Beers and Botswana.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.