On a personal note, I will be on vacation the last week in August, so no roundup or blog posts. See you all in September!
In the news … Surging Signet secures sight, settles suit… The SEC’s conflicted over conflict minerals … And Prince Harry bares his very distinctive, um, jewelry … All below …
Signet announces surging sales, new brands, Rio Tinto sight.
– Sterling settles with Merit Diamond.
Court approves first De Beers class action checks.
– Oppenheimer officially out at De Beers.
Sightholders still refusing goods.
Mood “cautious” at IIJS Show in India.
– Avi Krawitz: Expectations are “low.”
Study: Engagement ring spending increases when there are fewer ladies.
– Ken Gassman: Why the diamond industry must market to women.
Do outlet stores tarnish high-end retailers’ image?
New federal rules for conflict gold approved.
– Recycled gold may help.
– JA: Could be “costly.”
– Did business win?
– Final rule. (Warning: 300-plus pages)
Platinum prices rise following mine violence.
– Unrest spreads to other mines.
Gitanjali acquires stake in Japanese jeweler.
GIA opens lab in Israel.
Former J.C. Penney CEO criticizes current leadership.
– Penney gives out one million free haircuts.
– Insiders buy stock.
– Interesting analysis: “It’s all about product.”
– Longtime shopper feels “betrayed.”
The “bear case for Blue Nile.”
– Website gives out $100 necklace for free.
What Wall Street sees for Tiffany’s second quarter.
– CNBC sees possible “weakness.” (Video)
– Earnings sneak peek.
Chamilia gets new CEO.
Rembrandt Charms appoints new president.
President of Buxbaum Jewelry Advisors resigns.
Mouawad, Premier form “alliance.”
Alrosa cuts supply to the market.
Indian manufacturers look to diamond jewelry.
Harry Winston: Diavik has another 11 years left.
– Should it buy Ekati?
131 ct. diamond found in Angola.
My interview with Kimberley Process Chair: “I don’t know” if reforms will pass.
– Cameroon joins Kimberley Process.
Zimbabawe discovers new diamond deposits.
– Causes tension in government.
– Second largest diamond producer?
– Has Anjin been stockpiling?
Namdeb workers face a lockout.
Complaint filed against Tiffany SoHo store construction.
Group calls on Omega to leave Iran.
Rio Tinto release first jewelry from Indian mine.
Did Lindsey Lohan steal jewelry again?
– Labels it “lies.”
P Diddy gets engaged. Fiancé flashes ring.
Avril Lange’s rather big engagement ring.
– Canadian TV asks what a 14 ct. ring looks like.
Katie Holmes poses in jewelry ads.
Prince Harry’s jewelry authenticates nude pix.
JCK speaks to Mad Men costume designer.
Jeweler donates engagement ring to panhandler.
The “Blonde Diamond Barbie.”
World’s most expensive sink.
– Time on Venezuela on the Kimberley Process.
– South African newspaper story on Dan Gertler.
– The Wall Street Journal visits Louis Vuitton in Paris.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five
Enjoy the end of summer! See you soon …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine