On a personal note, on Monday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m., I will be giving a presentation for the American Gem Society New York/New Jersey Guild on “Current Challenges in the Jewelry Industry,” at Alfredo of Rome, 4 West 49th St. (between Fifth and Sixth), in New York City. The charge is $50, which includes dinner. Cocktails begin at 6 p.m. RSVP by Oct. 5 to marcelia – at – diacodiamonds.com.
This week … Endless.com joins the great Graveyard of Ironically Titled Companies … Petra’s CEO says the diamond market is not that bad, making him the most upbeat person in the industry … JWoww’s gets a ring that says JWhoaa … All below …
Banks predict huge gains for gold.
– Analyst: Mine strikes won’t impact price.
U.S. retail jewelry prices rise in August.
Shopping Center council predicts holiday sales will rise 3%.
– So does professor.
– Consumer confidence at highest level in seven months.
Social networks don’t drive sales, survey says.
Who wore what to the Emmy awards.
– Kelly Osbourne offends people with her diamond nail polish.
Andrea Hansen becomes president of Biochic.
Edahn Golan: Hong Kong fair “below expectations.”
– Avi Krawitz: Diamond producers all lowering output.
– Petra says diamond market is “not that bad.”
– Israel diamantaires slightly more optimistic.
Fair trade diamonds are (sort of, but not really) coming!
Company plans new diamond ETF.
Rapaport diamond conference panels:
– Trends impacting the markets.
– Synthetic panel.
– India’s regulatory environment.
Kimberley Process chair keynoting at Zimbabwe diamond conference.
Christie’s auctioning Archduke Joseph Diamond, legendary 76 ct. D IF gem.
– Brooke Astor’s rings sells at Sotheby’s.
Alrosa finds 158 ct. diamond.
– 32nd largest ever found.
Birks and Mayors CEO thinks chains needs to “embrace Canadian identity.”
Swatch CEO worries about hitting sales target.
Bidz officially purchased by Gideon Group.
Amazon closes fashion site Endless.com.
Amazon opening physical store?
Groupon talent leaving.
Pandora, Chamilia settle suit.
Former JCK art director joins Antiquorum.
Tempelsman honored as Africa-America Institute trustee.
Jeweler makes designs out of old credit cards.
New Rihanna album has her rolling diamonds.
– Have diamonds become “worn-out” pop metaphor?
Jersey Store star JWoww gets 5 ct. engagement ring.
The diamond-studded Galaxy X3.
50 million year old redwood chunk found at Ekati.
Bitter woman puts wedding ring in rocket.
Popular Mechanics explains how an asteroid can make diamonds.
From the Blog:
– My article on how to appeal to Millennial jewelry buyers.
– My article on male engagement rings.
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine