On a personal note, as was announced this week, I will be emceeing next year’s American Gem Society Conclave in Phoenix. The Conclave is one of my favorite events on the jewelry calendar, and next year features a typically impressive list of speakers. Hope to see some readers there; it should be a lot of fun.
I should also note that today marks my 20th consecutive year covering diamonds and jewelry.
This week … The diamond industry finds something new to get up in arms about … Harry Winston says it isn’t selling, but people are looking … And way too much information about what it’s like to wear a diamond bra … All below …
Chad Allison brand shutting down.
Report: Harry Winston selling jewelry business.
– Company denies.
Diamonds lose market share, IDMA says.
– Congress attendees call for generic promotion.
– Jewelry lagging other categories this holiday.
– De Beers “optimistic” about diamond demand.
– My thoughts: It’s true, diamonds are losing market share.
The New Diamond Source Protocols
– Diamond source warranty protocol criticized at Congress.
– My thoughts: Industry “missed a big opportunity.”
The problem with lab-grown diamonds.
– Good overview of lab-grown diamond market.
Indian diamond wholesalers “a worried lot.”
– Indian income tax authorities target diamond companies.
– Surat protests tax seizures.
Richline acquires South African company.
Tiffany announces executive shifts.
– “Opportunity to grow higher-end business.”
– Hedda Schupak: What Tiffany’s doing right.
Jeweler scores publicity coup with diamond found in well.
– Five extraordinary diamond finds by ordinary people.
Rise in U.S. retail sales “no fluke.”
J.C. Penney offers coupon-like “gift.”
– “Retail disaster of the decade.”
Blue Nile gets Morgan Stanley upgrade.
There’s still cadmium in childen’s jewelry, AP finds.
Sanctions decreasing Zim diamond sales.
– Opposition calls sales “under-handed.”
Miners strike at Petra Cullinan mine.
Diavik to produce fewer carats.
50 ct. diamond fetches $9.5 million at Christie’s.
Diamond dealer Isak Trau dies.
Blom elected president of World Federation.
JCK Industry Fund accepts grant applications.
Another jeweler offering free rifles.
Conflict diamonds featured on Hawaii Five-O.
Bachelorette giving back ring.
Model on diamond bra: “5,000 gems on your body feel pretty good.”
The Wall Street Journal/CBS MarketWatch on diamond ETFs.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine