This week … Don’t print those “Cynthia Carroll, De Beers chairman” business cards just yet … The industry gets dissed by a science museum … Kim Kardashian’s really big diamond might be an engagement ring, or might just be a really big diamond … All below …
Signet acquires Ultra Stores.
Cynthia Carroll resigns as head of Anglo, De Beers.
– De Beers called “obvious divestment option.” They just got it!
Alex and Ani sells stake to private equity firm.
Suit claims Macy’s misrepresents its gold jewelry.
Scientist find way to turn gold, silver different colors.
Ken Gassman predicts: Jewelry sales up 4% this holiday.
– Overall, holiday predictions are mixed.
– Survey: Only the most affluent increasing their buying.
Could the government impose new regulations on diamonds? Just asking.
– Lawsuit seeks to over turn “conflict gold” rule.
The Diamond Source Protocol, Contd.
– Michelle Graff: At least the organizations did something.
– Charles Wyndham: Seems like a “clash of egos.”
U.S. election won’t impact Kimberley Process, chair says.
– Transcript of webchat.
Interesting post on “Why aren’t synthetic diamonds cheaper?”
Moissanite sales up 78%.
Avi Krawitz: Diamond selling defined by added value.
Millions in counterfeit watches seized in Paraguay.
Kameleon opens e-commerce site.
Louis Fortunoff dies at age 47. Terrible news. Our thoughts go out to his family.
– Detailed obit in Centurion newsletter.
De Beers diamond production falls.
De Beers CEO Mellier takes over Element Six.
Alrosa adjusts 2012 outlook.
– Miner finds 888 ct. industrial stone.
Argyle reports “strong demand” for pinks.
South African diamond trader seeks goods abroad.
More companies open in Bharat bourse.
AGTA Award winners announced.
What’s the deal with CIRCA CEO?
Kim Kardashian gets 10 ct. diamond from Kanye.
– Worth $1 million.
– “Not an engagement ring.”
Science museum billboard: “Diamonds aren’t all that rare.”
Time spotlights the best of Harry Winston.
The Wall Street Journal again talks diamond investing.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
Have a great weekend!
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.