This week … The diamond industry convenes in Zimbabwe, plots new ways to make itself look bad … Obama records an industry-friendly video …And, what do you know? Christmas is around the corner … All below …
Harry Winston buys BHP diamond mine.
– Could partners block deal?
Ready or Not, Here it Comes
– Survey forecasts best jewelry Christmas since 2007.
– Retailers start Black Friday on Thanksgiving.
– Employees fight back.
Birks and Mayors sees sales, profits fall.
Lacy and Co. shutting down.
Archduke Joseph diamond sells for $21 million.
– Deep blue diamond sells for $1 million a carat.
– Eric Clapton watch fetches $3.6 million.
De Beers November sight: $480 million.
Rough diamond prices “on the mend.”
Alrosa head cries out for a new cartel.
– Signs agreement with Chow Tai Fook.
Antwerp diamond prosecutor steps down.
– World Diamond Council president wants sanctions lifted.
– The U.S. responds: They’re staying.
– The bad press begins: Diamonds are an ogre’s best friend.
– Diamond embargo costs Zimbabwe millions.
– Mugabe laments sanctions.
– KP chair asked to resign.
– Regime pushes beneficiation.
Zim government plans to sue De Beers.
Surat deserted during Diwali.
– Workers worried about robberies.
DiamondCorp gets loan from Tiffany in return for supply.
Diamond Circle Capital ready to liquidate.
Internet sales tax momentum growing, JA says.
Jeweler helps in the aftermath of Sandy.
Jewelers Mutual promotes Carol Sanders.
South African smuggler swallowed 220 diamonds.
Woman loses ring that survived World War II, Nazis.
Titanic jewels go on display.
The R2D2 engagement ring!
Obama tells engaged worker to “put a ring on it.”
– Financial Times on squeezed diamond supply.
– Mail and Guardian editorial from Partnership Africa Canada on Zimbabwe and diamonds.
From the Blog:
The Diamond Five:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.