This week … Swatch buys Winston, which may buy Diavik but not Ekati … Tiffany takeover talk tantalizes … Jay-Z and Beyoncé buy their child a diamond-encrusted Barbie, a vital step in the ongoing screwing-up process … All below …
Harry Winston sold to Swatch.
– Swatch hopes for 16% growth a year.
– Harry Winston looking at buying rest of Diavik.
– Ekati purchase faces legal challenge.
Samuels’ sales soar 8.4% at holiday.
Birks & Mayors comps rise 5%.
Overall holiday sales show modest gains.
– Michelle Graff: “A confusing season.”
Was J.C. Penney’s holiday better than expected?
– Stock ticks up.
Was Blue Nile’s holiday “weaker than expected?”
Rumors of Tiffany takeover re-emerge.
Golden Globes: Who wore what jewelry.
– Stars paid to wear jewelry?
Platinum overtakes gold for the first time in ten months.
Bronstein wins court case over Aurora Collection.
W.B. David case revived after appeal.
Tiffany sues websites for selling counterfeits.
Ex-Gemesis CEO sues former company.
– Chaim Even-Zohar: Obstruction in investigation of undisclosed synthetics. ($)
Jewelry TV cofounder Jerry Sisk dies.
Richard Michaels retires as president of Michaels Jewelers.
Runci slams World Diamond Council in JVC speech.
– My thoughts: The World Diamond Council finds itself under the loupe.
Diamond ETF “off to a solid start.”
“Modest increase” in polished prices seen this year.
– Analyst still upbeat on diamond fundamentals.
– Indian diamantaires worried about falling polished prices.
Tax raids at Indian diamond firms.
De Beers confident of finding Angolan gem mine.
– But no viable results.
Zanu PF under investigation for diamond fraud.
– “Face the boot.”
Liberia loses diamonds to Sierra Leone.
Cameroon set for first diamond exports under KP.
Blue Nile trademarks “It starts with the diamond in your mind.”
What Facebook’s new search engine means for retailers.
Mobile commerce to quadruple.
Meijer announces new president, co-CEO.
JudeFrancis Jewelry hires new VP of sales.
Leo Schachter tops Israeli export list.
Schachter and Tiffany honored at DEF GOOD awards.
Weisenfeld, Kern honored by JSA.
De Beers division working on “diamond atoms.”
– New super-hard material rivals diamond.
Sarin puts out press release about Zale-Sterling litigation.
Diamond wholesaler victim of $400,000 theft in Florida.
South African police officers involved in “diamond deal gone wrong.”
Diamond motorbike for sale.
Beyoncé, Jay Z buy child diamond-encrusted Barbie doll.
– Stephen Webster on male jewelry in The Wall Street Journal.
– New York mag doesn’t like photos on engagement rings on Facebook. (Story also links to JCK.)
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine