This week … Mixed reports from Basel … Arizona wants to make gold “legal tender” … Plus, the jewelry you can find on New York City sidewalks … All below …
Swarovski acquires Chamila.
Forecasters split on Mother’s Day jewelry sales.
– U.S. consumers keep spending.
– Millienials emerging as big consumer force.
J.C. Penney unveils new fashion jewelry departments, puts out ad admitting mistakes.
– Company getting high marks for social media.
– Can it pull a Netflix?
– Former Penney CEO made 1,700 times the pay of jewelry saleswoman.
– Johnson’s team cost $170 million.
Morgan’s Jewelers president resigns.
Blue Nile sales jump 16.7 percent, “not sure” about sales tax effect.
– Earning call transcript.
– Does company have “most to lose” from online sales tax?
– Beats expectations, but Wall Street not excited.
– Business at Basel watch and jewelry fair “mixed.”
– Jennifer Heebner rounds up business and jewelry trends.
– Diamond suppliers “frustrated.”
– Fair: Attendance up 17 percent.
Edahn Golan on different lab standards. An important topic; we will have a feature on this issue in June.
U.S. market favors H SI stones, De Beers says.
Idex: Polished prices fall in May.
Chaim Even-Zohar charts the diamond pipeline.
– Chinese market lifting diamond prices.
– Avi Krawitz: Unique diamonds doing better than rest of trade.
De Beers’ new review looking at retail chain, Forevermark.
Rio Tinto opens new chapter in Argyle mine.
– Rio Tinto may sell its diamond mines individually.
– Or just float the whole thing.
Rating agency downgrades Su-Raj (a.k.a. Winsome.)
A Kimberley Process … for gemstones?
De Beers class action payments to be distributed to consumers.
Analysis of Lazare Kaplan’s recent appeal win versus Photoscribe.
Suit claiming Macy’s misrepresents gold switches plaintiff.
Kansas jeweler robbed at home by thieves using GPS.
Georg Jensen publishes Danish Silver.
Chris del Gatto named CEO of Jacob and Co.
Famed appraised Joe Tenhagen dies.
Diamond historian Lord Balfour dies.
Tiffany CEO sells shares.
– Motley Fool says Tiffany still a “good growth stock.”
Interview with CEO of Swatch.
Interview with head of diamond ETF fund.
Zale appoints new head of real estate.
Horological consultant joins Antiquorom.
Bill Boyajian wins AGS Shipley award.
Appeals court ruiing may drag out conflict minerals lawsuit.
– JVC publishes “conflict mineral” guide.
Zimbabwe minister Mpofu said De Beers “looted” his country’s gems.
Arizona may make gold “legal tender.”
– Gold coin sales jump to three-year high.
– Analyst: Gold price “still vulnerable.”
Silver prices to stay below $30.
The “mystery dark past” of a 68-carat yellow diamond.
Jeweler opens “ring museum.”
Woman who swallowed diamond to be on Letterman show.
Great Gatsby actress talks about her diamonds.
Guy finds valuables fishing on New York City streets.
NCIS plot involves blood diamond smuggling ring
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.