This week … “Dr. Doom” predicts $1,000 gold … Did Ancient Egyptian jewelry come from meteorites … Oscar Meyer makes fun of diamond commercials .. And more …
Donna Baker resigns from GIA. Shock, puzzlement follow.
– Rouge GIA instructor during the 90s?
– Retailers feeling “good vibes.”
– Shows prove “U.S. market is rising.”
– “Cautious confidence.”
– Rapaport state of the diamond industry presentation. (Video)
Mergers and acquisitions soar in jewelry. (Sub required)
Buffett book spurred Richline/Honora deal.
Theo Fennell sales talks continue.
Neiman nixes Saks merger.
Ritani’s grand ambitions.
Business Insider has good story on Baublebar.
Dominion profits rise after Harry Winston sale.
– CEO plays down interest in Rio assets.
Rio Tinto making progress with diamond division IPO.
Mining CEO touts diamonds as an investment.
As gold falls, resource funds shifting to diamonds.
Nouriel “Dr. Doom” Roubini sees gold sinking to $1,000.
– Banks lowering gold price targets.
– California city enacts moratorium on “cash for gold” businesses.
House chairman says Marketplace Fairness Act not dead yet.
J.C. Penney admits it’s now marking up prices to mark them down.
– Doing “toned-down” version of former CEO’s plans.
– Second quarter “could be ugly.”
Retailers try to attract the teen market.
Wealthy will spend less on jewelry, survey says.
Tiffany tops list for most searched-for jewelry brands.
Tiffany opening store in Red Square.
– Sees “big opportunity” in Russia.
Luxury spending now “way of life” in China.
Million dollar pearl necklace highlights Christie’s sale.
Swiss watch industry close to new “Swiss-made” rules.
Quebec cracks down on alleged jewelry store tax evasion.
The Kimberley Process: Still Around, Still Kind of Doing Stuff
– State Dept. asst. secretary calls for broadening the Kimberley Process.
– NGOs call for reforms.
– SA minister: Most diamonds are conflict-free.
– WDC president Izhakoff’s address.
– Izhakoff honored.
– South African unions take aim at Israel.
– China to chair KP next year.
Surat Rough Diamond Sourcing India runs into rough weather.
Legal review of Lazare Kaplan/Photoscribe ruling.
Tory Burch sues wholesalers.
Remembering Alexander Hasenfeld.
Cultured Pearl Association names new board.
An “important, overlooked metric” at Signet Jewelers.
Oscar Mayer spoofs diamond commercials.
Lost diamond found after eight months in a river.
– Another found in sewer.
Diamond and sapphire pendant found at plane crash site.
OId Egyptian jewelry came from meteorite.
Pet nose jewelry.
Sarena Williams gets a “bling blister” from her ring.
Israeli artist pays sculptural tribute to diamonds.
– The Guardian skeptical about the KP.
– Christian Science Monitor tries to explain it.
– Gulf Times visits Antwerp.
– NPR’s Planet Money says diamond exports doing well.
– Investors Chronicle on diamonds in a portfolio.
– New movie on Pink Panther jewel gang.
From the Blog:
Have a great Vegas recovery weekend!
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.