This week… The guy who accidentally sold his wife’s wedding ring for $10.… Watch a $300,000 trade show theft as it occurs.… Which flash sites get the most customer complaints?… All below…
Lack of Cert-itude
– Diamond grading labs using different standards, survey finds.
– Full recounting of Rapaport results.
– Rapaport certification conference. (Video)
– My thoughts: The diamond lab system is broken. How do we fix it?
The resignation of Donna Baker and the future of GIA.
Chaim Even-Zohar says undisclosed synthetics are abundant (and GIA can’t detect some). ($)
– Washington Diamond Co. celebrates high-clarity synthetic.
Birks stores to feature only Birks jewelry.
Sterling, Zale fail to settle lawsuit.
Rating flash sites by customer complaints.
Costco is happiest cheapest company in the world.
– Wal-Mart hiring new temps.
The “gentrification” of the strip mall.
J.C. Penney to reinstate cashiers, uniforms.
– Did rebranding do something right?
– Store employees get a therapist.
Macy’s files motion to dismiss gold jewelry lawsuit.
Gold prices drop 1%.
– Mining analysts see further drops.
– Counterpoint: Peter Schiff says gold’s going “to the moon.”
Maine enacts online sales tax.
– How Amazon stands to gain.
– Three attorney generals come out against House bill.
JVC files response to Federal Trade Commission.
Indian diamond industry hits a rough patch.
Zimbabwe complains again about diamond sanctions.
Edah Golan on Antwerp email swindle.
Brussells airport diamond heist may have netted $400 million.
Watch $300,000 theft at Hong Kong show in action.
Robbers “dressed like Hasidim” hold up French jeweler.
Thief grabs necklaces at Fifth Avenue Tiffany.
Dealer robbed in Pittsburgh.
Astley Clarke names new managing director.
Maryland jeweler Bobby Chance dies.
New York jeweler Louis Castiglione dies.
Pandora sock price falls.
Did Signet Jewelers miss the grade?
Court case against Zale former VP dismissed.
De Beers fails to reach wage agreement in South Africa.
Russian diamond technology to help exploration in Botswana.
Merlin diamond mine reactivated.
Nanuet diamond mine owner owes $180,000.
Gems tell “important things about the planet.”
Engagement ring guru helps pick out gems.
Did jewelry store billboard just give you the finger?
Dubai cabbie returns cash and diamonds.
Dumb Guy Trilogy:
– Husband accidentally sells wedding ring for $10.
– Man proposes with ring hidden inside chicken sandwich.
– A very bad Tiffany-related prank.
A diamond covered necktie!
– New novel from best-selling author focuses on diamonds, including De Beers ads and conflict diamonds.
– The Associated Press on people buying diamonds online.
– Jewish Business News on the industry’s history.
– The Guardian on the Responsible Jewellery Council.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend… Enjoy the show!
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine