This week … Why one observer thinks the jewelry trade is a “great business” … Rising fear of defaults in India … The great Belgium airport robbery wasn’t so great after all… All below …
Gold slips below $1,300.
– Analysts see $1,200 in the future.
Brussels airport diamond robbery “veers from thriller to comedy.”
– Member of “Pink Panther” gang arrested near Paris.
Lazare Kaplan wins appeal against Antwerp Diamond Bank.
– Charles Wyndham offers his thoughts.
Interview with Dominion Diamond CEO.
– Rio Tinto: No “bazaar sale” for diamond assets.
Rising fear of defaults in India.
– Banks seek additional guarantees from diamond companies.
AGS lab no longer grading synthetics.
– Diamond World looks at whether they are a threat.
Couture, National Jeweler owner purchase completed.
J.C. Penney: long-term bankruptcy candidate?
– Penney marks up prices, and then marks them down.
Motley Fool blogger says jewelry business “great business to be in.”
– Bridal business may increase—perhaps.
Lawsuit over Swarovski “must-wear” policy.
Online sales tax bill faces tough time in the House.
– Edahn Golan on the online vs. offline retail experience.
One diamond group goes to Turkey—another stays away.
New report on Venezuela diamond smuggling that flaunts Kimberley.
Angola denies human rights abuses.
– But statement uses selective quotes.
– Activists decry abuses.
Angolan VP lays out goals for diamond sector.
– Wants to be KP vice chair.
– Angola, Endiama sign prospecting agreement.
Zimbabwe parliamentary committee criticizes diamond value chain.
– Allegations center on mining minister.
– Whistleblower dies in car crash.
– African Diamond Council calls Zimbabwe a “diamond success story.”
South Africa’s diamond industry falls behind Botswana’s.
U.S. partners with Guinea on mining transparency.
– Michelle Graff gets to know Guinea.
Avi Krawitz looks at “maturing” China.
Signet announces share buyback.
– William Montalto joins Tuesday morning board of directors.
Analyst hikes Blue Nile rating.
SeekingAlpha says Zale “still speculative.”
– Why “Tiffany shares aren’t cheap.”
Interview with GiltGroupe CEO.
RedEnvelope doubling jewelry offerings.
Metalsmith Sterling names three vice presidents.
New York Gemstone Association elects board of directors.
Graff awarded an OBE.
Joe Menzie gets ICA Lifetime Achievement Award.
Diavik team wins rescue competition.
Record-setting briolette named “Star of China.”
California man pleads guilty to misrepresenting jewelry as “Indian made.”
Reese Witherspoon sues jewelry company.
Putin says he didn’t steal Superbowl ring.
Jewelry made from beach sand.
Wedding ring accidentally sold at garage sale—found.
Psychology Today looks at why we give diamond engagement rings.
New book The Engagements offers critique of diamond rituals.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine