This week … Will gold make a comeback? Will J.C. Penney? … Mark Moeller moves his store … Why Michael Kors is suing Costco … All below …
ABC News finds jewelers not disclosing clarity enhancement, inflating appraisals.
Gold sees best week in two years.
– Time asks: Could gold make a comeback?
– CNBC says: Look out for platinum.
– Mining exec says silver will no longer be economical to mine.
Birks and Mayors comps rise 9 percent in first quarter.
Reasons why J.C. Penney will “survive and thrive.”
Report: Sears’ current structure doesn’t make sense. Fascinating read.
U.S. retailers’ sales rise in June.
Obamacare employer mandate delayed.
Michael Kors sues Cotsco over ads.
Same-sex marriage leading to more “man-gagement” rings.
New technology said to read shoppers’ emotions.
– Mobile “not really driving sales.”
U.K. cashier refuses to service phone-using customer.
Signet U.K. CEO to step down.
– Signet names new directors.
– Sterling Jewelers names new vice president.
Texas jeweler Steve Magner dies.
Kara Ross New York gets new president.
Buccellati appoints new CEO.
Frederick Goldman hires chief marketing officer.
De Beers to let sightholders vie for contracts.
– Avi Krawitz: “A significant development.”
Gitanjali loses nearly 70% of its stock value.
– Chaim Even-Zohar breaks it down. ($)
De Beers worries about falling rupee.
De Beers, South African union settle wage dispute.
Russia catching up with Botswana diamond production.
Exit interview with World Diamond Council president Eli Izhakoff.
Kimberley Process chair hails “significant progress.”
– Greenland joins the KP.
Zimbabwe minister calls diamonds fund situation “a horror movie.”
Dubai opens new diamond control office.
L.J. International gets bought out.
Chow Tai Fook revenue up 63 percent.
Albert Robinson on diamond industry “tipping points.”
Swatch not allowed to cut movement supplies to rivals, regulator says.
– Expects Harry Winston sales to double.
New Jersey offers David Yurman a grant.
Kentucky man unearths 2.95 brown stone in Arkansas park.
Mark Moeller’s store moves.
Philadelphia jeweler helps out robbery victim.
Diamonds may have competitor for best thermal conductor.
Fabergé gold and platinum dentures.
– Wired (U.K.) on how to spot a fake diamond.
– Geology.com looks at how diamonds form.
– Huffington Post on Liberia’s “diamond boys.”
– New Yorker profile on diamond magnate Beny Steinmetz.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine