First, a little self-promotion: On Oct. 3, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm at the Diamond Dealers Club of New York, I’ll be moderating the Natural Colored Diamond Association Brown Diamond Conference. Panelists include Thomas Gelb, director of education for NCDIA; Wuyi Wang of GIA; Eddie LeVian of LeVian Jewelry; Surbhi Pandya of YNY Jewels; and Gary A. Roskin, GG, FG, of Roskin Gem News. Admission is free; more information here.
This week … The woman who tried to get an engagement ring by making sandwiches …Is investing in diamonds a “fool’s game”? … $400,000 in Tiffany jewelry found at a Goodwill… All below
Holiday sales to rise 4 percent, forecast says.
Tiffany appoints new president.
Colored stones, yellow gold win big at Emmies.
– The big list: Who wore what.
– Carrie Underwood wore $25 million in diamonds.
– Sofia Vergara’s jewels worth $7 million.
Signet signing diamond deal with Alrosa.
Leviev fails to win injunction against Julius Klein.
– Leviev appeals.
– New York Post article.
J.C. Penney predicts sales improvement.
– Selling 84 million shares of stock.
– Why it already needs more cash.
– Was Bill Ackman right?
– Suppliers not happy.
– “Patience is needed.”
Authorities crack down on fake Yelp reviews.
Harry Winston sues former ad agency.
Will a Chinese factory manufacture synthetic diamonds like they’re iPads?
Gold—an investment “gone dull”?
Fox Business: Is investing in diamonds a fool’s game?
Surat diamond business comes to a halt.
– Edahn Golan: “Reason to hope” in diamond market.
Sotheby’s selling “most valuable diamond” ever auctioned.
257 ct. diamond found in Botswana.
Three reasons smartwatches won’t kill luxury watches.
Australian jewelry brand Tuskc ceases trading.
Gitanjali shares still on a downtrend.
EU lifts sanctions on Zimbabwe diamonds.
– Is Mugabe really cracking down on corruption?
– Possible bribery scam.
Global Witness’ “conflict mineral” E.U. rule called “silly.”
Charles Taylor’s appeal rejected.
Gold mining causes mercury pollution.
Indian diamond trader defaults, disappears.
Profile of the Pink Panther jewel thief gang.
Charles Wyndham: Rumors Varda Shine’s stepping down.
Nixon names new CEO.
GIA appoints corporate counsel.
Helzberg to open outlet store in Kansas City.
JIC announces GEM award nominees.
Miley Cyrus “hasn’t decided” what to do with engagement ring.
Jilted lover sues fiancé over engagement ring.
The debate over “push presents.”
Woman makes sandwiches for engagement ring.
Lost and Found
– Long-lost jewelry found by mountain climber.
– $400,000 in jewelry found at a Goodwill.
– Missing ring found in Kleenex box.
From the Blog:
Article on online sales tax.
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.