The word is out … I will again be emceeing next year’s American Gem Society Conclave! Last year’s event was a lot of fun, and this year promises to be even better. And hey, Magic Johnson will be there. Hope to see many of my readers. And if you’ve never gone, you really should. It is an impressive and usually very informative and useful event.
This week … New alert issued over lab-grown diamonds … J.C. Penney shares hit 31-year low… New Victoria Secret “fantasy bra” … All below …
Rap issues “alert” for lab-grown diamonds.
Jewelpop acquired by equity firm.
J.C. Penney stock falls over false bankruptcy rumor.
– Shares hit 31-year low.
– Penney sued on behalf of investors.
– Racing to get out holiday campaign.
– Axed agency defends old logo.
– Hopes depending on holiday price war.
Lazare Kaplan sales fall 30 percent.
Hearts on Fire opens second U.S. retail store.
Birks opens first store in China.
Pandora’s 1000th store opens in Paris.
Swarovski to focus on high-end jewelry stores.
Michael Hill notes “good growth” at stores.
Lieberfarb CEO Ann Arnold resigns.
Susan Jacques and the GIA.
Kardashain ring fetches $750,000 at Christie’s auction.
– Argyle pink tender sets records.
– Edahn Golan: Market for high-end diamonds still alive.
– Avi Krawitz: Colored diamond business “bright spot.”
What sightholders really think of De Beers move to Botswana.
– De Beers production up 21 percent.
The “strange, messy state of smartwatches.”
– Samsung smartwatch: A dud?
– Google smartwatch “just about finished.”
– Nokia has one with two screens.
– Adidas has one too.
New report on challenges for Swiss watch industry.
Cartier employees go on strike.
Consumers’ budgets may fall this holiday.
Lurching gold prices “mystify traders.”
Mehul Choksi: “The man who lost 90 percent of his fortune twice.”
Canadian miner says it’s found one of world’s largest kimberlites.
Brands win injunction in cyber-counterfeiting case.
Lawsuit over 840 pound emerald.
Yurman sues Italian companies over alleged confidentiality breach.
– Evan Yurman named design director of David Yurman.
Thistle & Bee cofounder dies.
JFC to honor Barnes, the Rothmans.
Macy’s to open Thanksgiving night.
– Also J.C. Penney.
– It’s “game theory.”
Dallas Cowboys’ DeMarcus Ware owes jeweler $42,967 jeweler for diamond bracelet.
New Victoria Secret “fantasy bra” premieres.
Wear a diamond-covered “morphsuit” for Halloween.
Woman finds diamond ring in Gulf of Mexico.
– Bloomberg on De Beers “squeezing” its clients.
– “Gem Hunt” premieres on Travel Channel.
– Huffington Post U.K. touts diamonds as an investment.
– The AP on Zimbabwe diamonds.
– NPR story on jewel heists.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.