This week … Waitress gets $700 tip to start jewelry line.… Want to buy a ring “worn by Satan”?… Blue Nile says it can find diamonds based on your personality.… All below …
– Independent jewelers mostly happy.
– National Jeweler: “A strong start.”
– Cyber Monday sets new record.
– But overall results: “Depressing.”
Jewelry will be top selling category for holiday, forecaster says.
Things I learned from the Zale, Signet, and Tiffany earnings calls.
– Tiffany shares rise after Goldman recommendation.
John Hardy up for sale, report says.
Jewelry Exchange buys gold mine.
Samuels Jewelers opening three new stores.
Melrose.com shuts down after Rolex suit.
I Do Now I Don’t partners with Blue Nile.
– Blue Nile introduces “personality questionnaire.”
Supreme Court turns away challenge to online sales tax.
J.C. Penney receives inquiry letter from SEC.
Sears to spin off Lands’ End division.
De Beers issues guidance on synthetics.
– Rapaport editorial on undisclosed stones.
Is De Beers doing an “about-face”?
– Talking in India about linking rough and polished prices.
Edahn Golan: Alrosa now outshining De Beers.
– “Not interested in branding.”
Winsome Diamonds’ receivables grow.
– Becoming “huge headache” for banks.
Surat companies worried about non-returning workers.
– Indian exports up 56 percent.
Antwerp to host sale of Marange gems.
– Zimbabwe approves setting up of polishing plants.
– Govt. undermining NGOs?
South African minister calls for KP reforms.
CAR wants KP ban lifted.
Peru is Latin American’s biggest diamond consumer.
Chow Tai Fook focusing on licensed jewelry.
Richemont chairman calls global economy “precarious.”
Seiko opening high-end boutique.
Video released of record-setting diamond theft.
Mandela’s legacy hailed by industry.
– De Beers statement.
Paul Walker bought Iraq war veteran an engagement ring.
JCK publisher Mark Smelzer inducted into 24 Karat Club.
Hearts On Fire promotes Caryl Capeci.
Antwerp unveils world’s “most expensive shoes.”
Website selling diamond- and ruby-studded Christmas wreath.
New company turns dead people into diamonds.
Waitress gets $700 tip to start jewelry line.
Thief swallows diamond rings, had to “pass” them.
– One is now lost.
– Digested diamond could be “hard to sell.” (Video)
Seller claims ring “worn by Satan.”
Kayne West now embarrassed by diamond teeth.
Kate Middleton wears diamond tiara.
– Media Watch:
– Barron’s on how to buy diamonds.
– Al-Jazeera on the “dark side of diamonds.”
– The New York Times on colored diamonds.
– New York Observer finds women buying diamonds for themselves.
– Denver TV station warns consumers about inflated grading reports.
– DailyFinance on looking for diamonds.
– Huffington Post on cheap engagement rings.
From the Blog:
Thanks to my friend Ben for filling in for the last three weeks. Have a great weekend …
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine