This week: More delays at GIA. Policeman steals watch from jewelry store. Some don’t like Kay Jewelers’ adoption ad. All below.
Most Americans think engagement rings should cost less than $2,000.
Report: Equity firm makes offer for John Hardy.
– Saks president joins equity firm, will target jewelry companies.
Blue Nile opens second showcase at a Nordstrom.
– My thoughts: Why this is happening.
JVC to monitor online jewelry advertising.
J.C. Penney stock falls below $5 despite sales gain.
– Closer to bankruptcy?
– The bullish counterargument.
– Pulls weird Super Bowl tweet prank.
– Selling land around its headquarters.
Employees speak out on Sears, J.C. Penney, Macy’s.
New York City jewelry heists on the rise.
Delays again at GIA lab.
Five ways diamonds are used for money laundering.
– Full report on diamonds and money laundering/terrorist financing.
De Beers revamps sightholder application process.
– Will recognize “stronger-performing companies.”
– Appoints veteran execs to executive committee.
Bourses increasingly hosting trade shows.
Corruption alleged at Marange mine.
– Zimbabwe not giving out any new diamond licenses.
– Report: Diamond dislocations leading to young sex workers.
Fight for diamond divides South African town.
ABN Amro’s message to diamond industry.
U.K. diamond investment firm liquidates.
Chinese authorities have to be convinced diamonds aren’t a luxury.
Gemvara apologizes for email snafu.
Alex and Ani runs second Super Bowl commercial.
Jeweler issues third refund after Super Bowl.
MJSA editor-in-chief resigns to start jewelry company.
Apple smartwatch could be solar powered, report says.
– Apple becoming luxury brand.
– New smartwatches coming.
Good obit on Raymond Weil.
Eight gold miners die in fire.
– Two more die in mines owned by same company.
New York City jeweler conned by fake spy.
Policeman steals watch from jewelry store.
Kay Jewelers’ ad sparks controversy over adoption.
Diddy proposes with diamond on Instagram.
Elizabeth Hurley steps out in diamonds.
Jewelry based on pet body parts.
-The New York Times on buying engagement rings.
– Discovery Channel to air Game of Stones, about gem hunter.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.