This week: Auditor suggests Winsome Diamonds is near the end. Young starlet won’t wear diamonds. Mac and cheese engagement rings? All below.
– It didn’t disappoint—for a change.
– The Big List: Who wore what.
– Chopard makes an impression.
– Madonna wore 1,000 cts. of diamonds.
In the Know
– Gilt Groupe founder speaks at WJA.
– How retailers are reinventing themselves.
– The perils of RadioShack, or why being a mediocre retailer doesn’t cut it anymore.
Lawsuit claims gold price is manipulated.
– Fortune: Gold market “looking super shady right now.”
– Study shows signs of manipulation.
– Some thoughts on gold—and diamond—prices.
The size of the smartwatch market—and its key players.
– Apple wants to hire Swiss watch employees.
– Guy loves his smartwatch—and thinks you should get one.
February sight estimated at more than $700 million.
– Rough market market “sizzling again.”
– Why Bostwana is not so bad.
Rio Tinto bullish on diamond biz.
More treated diamonds coming out of India.
Winsome Diamonds in “death wheeze,” auditors say.
– Company finance director resigns.
Hong Kong show “injects confidence in market.”
Antwerp trade fair attendees like the gathering—but not the timing.
Dubai police arrest suspect in diamond trader’s murder.
Ivory Coast wants KP ban lifted.
EU plans new conflict minerals legislation.
– Activists criticize.
EPA may put kibosh on Pebble mine.
Zimbabwe mines hemorrhaging as output dries up.
– Marange investigations subverted?
Two 160 ct. stones fetch $13 million.
AGS Labs opens Diamond District take-in window.
Cameroon wants diamond factory.
Yakutia wants to directly supply diamonds to Azerbaijan.
Overstock surpasses $1 million in Bitcoin sales.
Guy makes geeky jewelry.
Pablo Picasso never got called a jewelry designer.
– The story behind Picasso’s jewelry.
Zale stock trades over Signet bid price.
Tiffany CEO sells shares.
Warren Buffett selling at Borsheim’s for fourth time.
The details on Mary-Kay Olsen’s engagement ring.
Does Mila Kunis’ engagement ring signal smaller celebrity rings?
Shailene Woodley won’t wear diamonds.
Stash of backyard gold coins not from heist.
World’s most expensive iPhone.
– The Telegraph on buying an engagement ring.
– The Frisky wants people to propose with macaroni and cheese instead of diamonds. Good luck with that.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.