Self-promotion alert: Vegas is coming up, and I will be involved in three seminars on Friday, May 30.
I will be giving a presentation on Diving Into the Industry Issues from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., at Tradewinds D, talking about synthetics, the Internet, changes in retail, and whatever else I want to dive into. Should be a lot of fun!
After that, I will be moderating a panel on Synthetic Diamond Disclosure at Tradewinds A, sponsored by the NCDIA, from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
Last, I will be moderating the special session on De Beers’ Perspectives on the Diamond Industry, headed by De Beers CEO Philippe Mellier, at the Surf Ballroom, from 4 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. This kind of session has never been done before, and I’m as curious as anyone to see how it will go.
This week: Man fakes blindness to steal ring. The end of Sears? How Bank of America hurt Signet’s Zale acquisition? All below.
JCK show expanding to five days.
Zale shareholder seeks to block Signet acquisition.
– Company says Signet acquisition is our best hope.
– TIG responds.
– Another investor may vote against.
– Is it Bank of America’s fault?
Inside Edition takes on lead glass–filled ruby.
Pandora U.S. sales grow 9 percent.
J.C. Penney comps rise, jewelry sales strong.
– Stock surges.
Sears may soon “cease to exist.”
Alex & Ani … at a crossroads?
Avi Krawitz on synthetics vs. naturals.
– Harry Levy says transparency is the answer.
Christie’s sets all-time auction record: 13 ct. blue garners $24 million.
– 100 ct. yellow diamond sells for $16 million at Sotheby’s.
– Yellow diamond temporarily pulled, returns.
– Buyer confused about currency conversions.
– 40.5 ct. Goldconda diamond highlights Christie’s Hong Kong.
The 7.35 ct. pear-shape that sparked a lawsuit.
De Beers sight estimated at $560 million.
17 percent of teenagers want an iWatch, survey finds.
Millennials into “reverse showrooming.”
EEOC appeals ruling in Signet case.
New York jeweler pleads guilty to defrauding 89 people.
Interview with State Department special advisor Ashley Orbach.
– State Department warns of fake KP certs.
Indian diamond offices may be moving to Surat.
– 200 say they’re ready to move.
– Can they attract big miners?
Winsome Diamonds may be tagged “wilful defaulter.”
Panama wants to be a diamond hub.
Dubai finally pays out Zim diamond revenue.
The bleak life of South American gold prospectors.
Phillips Jewelers cofounder dies.
Weiss Jewelry founder dies.
Connecticut jeweler proposes to girlfriend in store advertisement.
Man fakes blindness to steal ring from jeweler.
World Diamond Council elects new officers.
The “old Jewish diamonds” clothes collection.
– Times of India on investment diamonds.
– JCK editor-in-chief in the New York Times on jewelry as wearable art.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.