It’s the end of the year, and many of us are looking uneasily to 2009 (my thoughts on that here.) So this week, for the first time, I’ve instituted a “good news round-up,” so people know it’s not all bad out there. Anyway, I want to thank you all for reading, and wish you all the best in the upcoming year …
And here’s the news …
Christian Bernard Jewelers goes Chapter 7.
2008: The Year Without a Santa Claus
Good News Roundup:
– Day after Christmas: “Second Black Friday.”
– National Jeweler: Last minute sales boost.
– Retail (including jewelry) strong in Arkansas.
– Amazon has record year. I know not everyone considers that good news …
– Online jeweler evesaddiction.com sees sales rise.
– Diamond workers nervously watch U.S.
– Indian minister warns “diamond barons.”
– Opposition: Industry “neglected.”
– Gitanjali chief: Turnaround coming next year.
Tiffany cuts back seasonal help.
Report: Kohl discounts marked up jewelry.
World Jewelry Center delayed.
Tiffany issues new notes.
Two Israeli dealers arrested.
Report: “Tensions” at Diamonds International.
Rio Tinto seeks lease for Indian diamond deposit.
Alrosa receives government aid.
– Sales down 1%.
Saudi investors raise stake in Petra Diamonds.
Miami bourse head fights rumors.
Steinmetz rating claim rejected.
Jewelers Closing: Wise of Mount Vernon, Ohio.
Illinois jeweler literally sells Senate seats (as charms.) Awesome.
I thought I’d seen every diamond-encrusted object under the sun, but someone has discovered a new one. Since this is a family site, you will have to click this link to find out what it is. (Warning: Adult content.) What a story to end the year on. Sweet dreams, Eurythmics!
– Baltimore newspaper talks to local jewelers.
– Canada’s Star Phoenix on “cultured diamonds.”
– Jim Carrey makes stupid “De Beers” joke. (It’s also crude, so be warned. But mostly stupid.)
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend and again, a happy, healthy and more upbeat new year… See you in 2009!