Collectors Universe, Inc. on Friday reported that the total units of high-value collectibles, diamonds and colored gemstones authenticated and graded by the company declined by 3.5 percent to 655,200 units in the second quarter of fiscal 2007, compared with 679,000 units for the same period of the prior year. For the first six months of the fiscal year, total units authenticated and graded increased by 6.2 percent to 1,519,700 units, compared with 1,430,500 units in the first half of the prior fiscal year. The reporting period ended Dec. 31, 2006.
The reporting period ended Dec. 31, 2006.
The Newport Beach, Calif., based-company authenticates and grades collectible coins, sports cards, autographs, stamps currency, diamonds, and colored gemstones. Its brands include: Professional Coin Grading Service for coins, Professional Sports Authenticator for sports cards, PSA/DNA Authentication Services for autographs, Professional Stamp Experts for stamps, PCGS Currency for paper money, Gem Certification & Appraisal Lab for diamonds, and American Gemological Laboratories for colored gemstones.
The number of units authenticated and graded in the company’s individual markets are as follows:
* GCAL authenticated and graded 9,000 units or 1.4 percent of company’s total units in the second quarter, compared with 1,000 units authenticated in the same period of the prior year. For the six-month period, GCAL authenticated and graded 15,000 units. There are no comparative metrics available for the six months ended December 31, 2005, because the company acquired GCAL on Nov. 7, 2005.
* The company acquired AGL in August 2006. For the three- and six-month periods, AGL graded an authenticated 100 units and 200 units, respectively.
* Coins authenticated and graded by PCGS in the quarter decreased by approximately 21 percent to 281,400 units, or 43 percent of the total units. Coins authenticated and graded in the first six months increased by 1 percent to 762,700 units or 50 percent of the total units.
* Sportscards authenticated and graded in the quarter grew by approximately 7 percent to 295,600 units in the quarter, or 45 percent of the total units. For the first half of fiscal year 2007, sportscards authenticated and graded grew by 11 percent to 617,100 units, or 41 percent of the total units.
* Units authenticated by PSA/DNA increased by approximately 29 percent to 43,800 units for the quarter, or 7 percent of the total units. PSA/DNA units authenticated in the six-month period declined by 12 percent to 78,000 units, or 5 percent of the total units.
* Stamps authenticated and graded for the quarter increased by approximately 157 percent to 18,000 units, or 3 percent of the total units. In the six-month period, stamps authenticated and graded increased 87 percent to 30,300 units, or 2 percent of the total units.
* PCGS currency units authenticated and graded for the quarter increased by 44 percent to 7,200 units or 1.1 percent of the total units. Fore the first six months, 16,300 currency units were authenticated and graded, representing approximately 1 percent of the total, an increase of 14 percent.
“The Jewelry Group, led by the GCAL Diamond Division, continued its solid growth not only in this year’s second quarter as compared to the same quarter last year, but also as compared to the first quarter of this year, as the investment in the marketing programs began to yield increased demand for our diamond services,” said Michael Haynes, Collectors Universe chief executive officer. “Overall, the Collectibles Group continues to provide cash flow, although somewhat smaller in the December quarter, and we continue to invest in the Jewelry Group with marketing programs to drive volume and expand the brand recognition and acceptance in the markets.”