John Cohen, co-CEO of Greensboro, N.C.-based Carlyle & Co., was elected chairman of Jewelers of America during a recently held JA board of directors meeting. Cohen succeeds Alan Zimmer of Reeds Jewelers, Wilmington, N.C., whose two-year term has ended.
Also at the JA board meeting, the following officers were elected:
* John Green, Lux, Bond & Green, West Hartford, Conn., chairman-elect.
* Terry Burman, Sterling Jewelers, Akron, Ohio, vice-chairman.
* Georgie Gleim, Gleim the Jeweler, Palo Alto, Calif., vice-chairman.
* Michael L. White, White’s Jewelers, Springfield, Tenn., treasurer.
* Susan Jacques, Borsheim’s, Omaha, Neb., secretary.
In addition to the election of officers, JA welcomed four new board members:
* Marvin Beasley, Helzberg Diamonds, North Kansas City, Mo.
* Scot Congress, Congress Jewelers, Sanibel Island, Fla.
* John Hayes, Goodman’s Jewelers, Madison, Wisc.
* Woody Justice, Justice Jewelers, Springfield, Mo.
Continuing on the JA board are the following jewelers:
* Artie Bennos, Simms II Jewelers, Winchester, Mass.
* Jon Bridge, Ben Bridge Jeweler, Seattle, Wash.
* Jeffrey Corey, Days Jewelers, Waterville, Maine.
* Vicki Cunningham, Cunningham Fine Jewelry, Tulsa, Okla.
* William Farmer, Jr., Farmer’s Jewelry, Lexington, Ky.
* Mary Forte, Zale Corp., Irving, Texas.
* Esther Fortunoff, Fortunoff, Uniondale, N.Y.
* Marion Halfacre, Traditional Jewelers, Newport Beach, Calif.
* Barbara Hight-Randall, Hight & Randall, Ltd., Rochester, Minn.
* Michael J. Kowalski, Tiffany & Co., New York, N.Y.
* Merritt Mayher, Shreve, Crump & Low, Boston, Mass., and Schwarzchild’s Jewelers, Richmond, Virg.
* William Nichols, Jr., Reis-Nichols, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.
* Alan Rodriguez, House of Stones, New Philadelphia, Ohio.
* Richard White, Ed White Jewelers, Cullman, Ala.
Completing their terms on the JA board, in addition to outgoing chairman Alan Zimmer, are Stanislas de Quercize of Cartier, New York, N.Y., and H. Victor Hellberg of Hellberg’s Jewelers, Marshalltown, Iowa.