CIBJO, the World Jewellery Confederation, calls upon the members of the jewellery industry worldwide to immediately do its part in supporting the relief efforts that are now under way for the survivors of the tsunami disaster in South East Asia.
“Let’s all start 2005 with a contribution to the relief efforts and help millions of people not only survive the coming weeks and months, but also help them make a new start in life,” Gaetano Cavalieri, CIBJO President said. “Our industry-at-large can and should make a sizable contribution toward that goal.”
Cavalieri said that CIBJO had already been contacted by members with questions as to how they can help, and provided the following list, as published in the press.
* Red Cross, www.redcross.org
* OXFAM, 274 Banbury Road, Oxford. UK OX27DZ Tel: +44-870-333-2500, www.oxfam.org.uk
* CARE, http://www.care.org
* UNICEF, Tel. +1-212-326-7000, http://www.unicef.org
* OCHA, United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs http://ochaonline.un.org/
* WHO (World Health Organization), http://www.who.int/en/
* UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees), Tel +41-22-739-8111; http://www.unhcr.ch
* MEDAIR (International Humanitarian Aid Organization), Medair Headquarters Chemin du Croset 9, CH-1024 Ecublens. Switzerland, tel. +41-21-694-3535 http://www.medair.org
* Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres www.doctorswithoutborders.org; http://www.msf.org
Cavalieri—who has had a long time relationship with the region, including a four-year stint as an outside advisor to the Sri Lankan president—made a personal contribution of 10,000 Euros.