This spring, jewelry collectors and movie lovers will have a chance to own pieces from the collection of legendary actress and sex symbol Gina Lollobrigida.
On May 14, Sotheby’s Geneva will feature 23 jewels from the collection of the legendary actress and sex symbol in its Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels sale. Part of the proceeds from the auction will benefit stem cell research.
“I began collecting jewels from Bulgari in the 1950s and 1960s, drawn by the wonderful craftsmanship and distinctive style of these pieces,” Lollobrigida said in a statement. “They accompanied me on many journeys—both professional and personal—and are redolent of those times and the extraordinary people I met along the way.
“These days I am focusing my time on my career as a sculptor,” she continued. “A sculptor has little need for jewels, and so, I have decided the time is right to share them with other collectors. In so doing, I can also help a cause very close to my heart, that of stem cell research treatment, which I believe should be freely available to every child. It is my wish that part of the proceeds from the sale will contribute to help fund an international hospital for stem cell research.”
A pair of Bulgari natural pearl and diamond pendant earrings made in 1964 is estimated to earn $600,000–$1 million.
1964 natural pearl and diamond earrings
Also up for auction: a Bulgari 19.03 ct. diamond ring, circa 1962 (estimate: $400,000–$800,000); and a 1954 Bulgari diamond necklace/bracelet combination (estimate: $300,000–$500,000).
19.03 ct. diamond ring, circa 1962
1954 diamond necklace/bracelet
The auction will also feature a pair of 1964 Bulgari emerald and diamond earclips, estimated at $150,000–$250,000. Each features a diamond cluster with a detachable pear-shape emerald and diamond pendant.
1964 emerald and diamond earclips
Key pieces from the Lollobrigida collection will be on display in the following cities in advance of the auction:
- Hong Kong: April 3–6
- London: April 9–10
- New York City: April 13–16
- Rome: April 19
- Geneva: May 11–14
Other notable jewels in the Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels sale include:
- A 75 ct. cushion-shaped fancy yellow diamond jewel formerly in the private collection of the late Sultan Ahmad Shah Qajar (Iran). The diamond will be sold with a 6.93 ct. light pink brilliant-cut diamond, and a 34.78 ct. circular-cut diamond.
- Thirty-four jewelry pieces designed by influential 20th century jewelry designer Suzanne Belperron for her close friend Cécyle Simon.
- A 27.90 ct., D color, internally flawless, type IIa, cushion-shaped diamond
- A rare 11.71 ct. Kashmir sapphire ring.
- A 43.27 ct. sapphire and diamond pendant-brooch
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine