I’ll be happy to sign any books at the JCK Show in Las Vegas, where I hope to see many of you—though if you go, please, please, please, listen to Arnold.
Speaking of the JCK Show, on Fri., Aug. 27, at 2 p.m. PT, I’ll be speaking at a session titled “Conversations on JCK’s Industry Trend Report,” along with JCK editor-in-chief Victoria Gomelsky and communications and PR consultant Jen Cullen Williams. It will take place at the Showcase Stage on the show floor. More info here.
This week: Patek Philippe knockoffs are now “incredibly detailed.” Why is Amazon selling diamonds for $60? And Frank Ocean’s fans urge him to make music, not jewelry. All below.
Ka-ching! Jewelry sales had a great July.
– Commerce Department says retail sales fell below expectations.
GIA reports matched with inferior-quality diamonds.
So what happens to Afghanistan’s gems now?
Lightbox to offer bigger, better-quality diamonds.
Lab-grown diamonds poised to enter Japan.
U.S. diamond demand far exceeds supply.
– On the cusp of a “diamond supercycle.”
– “Diamond sparkle” lifts gloomy India.
– Antwerp, Belgium’s July trade outperforms pre-pandemic.
New data-driven diamond price list introduced.
After a turbulent year, here’s where the gold price is now.
– Egyptians hoard gold jewelry.
Pandora’s U.S. sales rise 63%.
– Forecasts drop in second half.
Why luxury “may not be the success story you think.”
How the best-performing retailers navigated the pandemic.
Signet Jewelers downgraded by Zacks.
– Signet may have issues allocating its capital.
Rocksbox elevates its offering.
– What to know about jewelry rental. (video)
How Gemist plans to become the Build-a-Bear of jewelry.
Fashion resale startups have more potential than profits.
– TheRealReal pauses retail rollout.
Jacmel NYC acquires the Boho Boutique.
New jewelry brand Dame stems from New York’s artistic community.
Swiss watch exports continue to recover.
Rolex says time’s up for Fifth Avenue headquarters.
– How Rolex became the top brand in the world.
– California jewelers warn about fakes.
Rolex still can’t catch Patek Philippe at auction.
Patek Philippe knockoff is “astonishingly detailed.”
Startup hopes to establish “digital identity” for Swiss watch brands.
– Switzerland responds to greater counterfeiting.
– Do gray market goods boost a brand’s profile?
Does Made in Italy need to renew itself?
– Pandemic “shatters M&A taboo” for Italy’s luxury brands. (subscription required)
Quartz: Why should ethical consumerism be shoppers’ burden?
De Beers’ GemFair ropes in more than 160 artisanal miners.
A new chapter after Mir mine tragedy.
Angola seizes smuggled diamonds.
Rapaport interviews RJC executive director Iris Van der Veken.
Al Woodill, “Mr. AGS” who headed group for 40 years, dies.
Jim Lobb joins Uneek as regional vice president.
Interview with CEO of “diamond coin” company.
Google gave up its marketplace.
Amazon lets sellers ignore holidays.
– Hits Chinese sellers with fake review crackdown.
– It’s offering 0.25 ct. diamonds for $60.
Town & Country traces the history of the Cullinan.
Jeweler reimagines historic woman as modern-day Insta-Queens.
– See campaign here.
Alphabet diamonds put a spin on personalized jewelry.
Jeweler’s ad stirs anger from the oboe community.
British mom makes jewelry out of her own breast milk.
– TV viewers left “disgusted.”
Indiana residents upset about trustee’s plan to turn unclaimed cremains into diamonds.
Frank Ocean fans upset about him selling necklaces.
Seventeen memes only jewelers will understand.
Police dog trained to hunt for a wedding ring on the beach.
From the Blog
From the Podcast
Have a safe and healthy weekend…and see many of you soon!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine