Arthur F. Gleim of Gleim The Jeweler in Palo Alto, Calif., recently received the 2004 Robert B. Westover Distinguished Service Award, presented by the California Jewelers Association.
CJA presents this distinguished award annually to an individual who is recognized for outstanding achievement and contribution to the jewelry industry. The award is named in honor of Robert B. Westover, the former long-time executive vice president of CJA.
“No one is more deserving of this award,” said Jim Hartstein, CJA president. “Arthur Gleim has provided leadership in so many different positions, and he has always encouraged education in all phases of the industry.”
Gleim has a distinguished career in the jewelry business. In addition to heading a thriving retail business with three locations on the San Francisco Peninsula, he has held top positions in, and has been recognized by, many of the most renowned jewelry organizations, including:
* Member of the Board of Directors of the Gemological Institute of America beginning in 1961, serving as board chairman from 1974 to 1981, and named Emeritus Member of GIA’s Board of Governors in 1985.
* President of CJA in 1967.
* President of the American Gen Society from 1973 to 1975 and recipient of that organization’s highest honor, the Robert M. Shipley Award in 1980.
* Recipient of the 1975 Meritorious Service Award, presented by the Golden Nuggets of Southern California, and organization of traveling jewelry representatives.
* Chairman of the Jewelers Research from 1980 to 1981.
* President of the Retail Jewelers of America (now JA) from 1981 to 1983.
Gleim has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee, the Jewelers Industry Council, and the California Merchants Association.
This is the fourth time the Robert B. Westover Award has been presented. Past honorees are Roger Marks of Rogers Jewelry, Modesto, Calif.; Marion Halfacre of Traditional Jewelers, Newport Beach, Calif.; and Richard Horne of Shreve & Co., San Francisco.
The award was presented at a champagne brunch on Sunday, Oct. 17 at the Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills, Calif.