Great industry-related articles you may have missed
And once again, let me apologize in advance for leaving out many excellent pieces and writers from this roundup. We are all overrun with information, and none of us can keep up with all of it. But here are some excellent articles and two videos that I enjoyed or found worthwhile, and I hope you do too:
– Vanity Fair takes a deep dive into the failed sale of the world’s largest rough diamond.
– Vanity Fair has the story behind the Hatton Garden theft.
– Men’s Journal on the hunt for gem dealer Campbell Bridges’ killer.
– A story of how Namibia’s diamonds ended up “sold for peanuts.”
– Investigation into illegal diamond mining in South Africa.
– The Washington Post: Inside the world of opal miners who live underground.
– New York Magazine on a jewelry dynasty feud.
– Gizmodo writer dumps Apple Watch for an analog.
– Why are watch ads always set at 10:10?
– Facebook bans ring design for being “sexually suggestive.”
– The New Yorker profiles a man who became a diamond.
– The New Yorker profiles ring finders.
– BuzzFeed: The rise and fall of the Jungle Gold reality show.
– BuzzFeed: The hunt for Poland’s buried Nazi gold.
– The Daily Beast: Where are the Romanov’s missing Fabergé Easter eggs?
– Nice story about two sisters “test-driving” diamonds.
– Harper’s Bazaar: What happens when kids try on expensive jewelry (video).
– Watch a hydraulic press smash a diamond (video).
– Peter Smith ponders the future of jewelry stores.
– Excellent Q&A with Jonathan Dorfman in The Centurion about the future of the luxury market.
– David Federman on the problems with pigeon’s blood.
– Wendy Brandes is not a fan of consignment.
– Barbara Palumbo on sexual harassment in the jewelry industry.
– The case for the American mall.
– How Macy’s killed everything good about department stores.
– Bloomberg on a shopping club that “traps” consumers.
– Instagram account chronicles men “forced” to shop.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine