In 2013, diamonds were everyone’s best friend. Check out 15 of the most jaw-dropping, wondrous, luminescent, and headline-grabbing diamonds this year had to offer.
1. The Pink Star Sells for $83 Million
In September, Sotheby’s announced it was auctioning off the Pink Star—a 59.6 ct. oval cut pink diamond it called the “most valuable diamond ever offered at auction.” The auction house estimated the diamond would sell for more than $60 million. It sold for $83 million.
2. 257 Carat Diamond Found in Botswana
This 257 ct. rough cut diamond found by Lucara Diamond Corp. at its Karowe Mine in Botswana isn’t as big as a diamond planet, but it’s pretty close.
3. Orange You Glad You Bought Me at Auction for $35 Million?
Forget Orange Is the New Black, orange diamonds bring in the most green. The Orange, the largest fancy vivid orange diamond ever offered, sold for $35,540,612. The prodigious sale set two new world records: the highest price per carat ($2.4 million) paid for any diamond sold at auction; and the highest-ever price paid for an orange diamond at auction.
4. 12-Year-Old Unearths 5 Carat Brown Diamond at Arkansas Park
This kid didn’t make all of us want to book a trip to Arkansas.
5. 2.95 Carat Diamond Found at Arkansas Park
Terry Staggs of Richmond, Ky., could only find a 2.95 ct. brown diamond at the park.
6. 235 Carat Diamond Found in Russia
In September, Russian diamond miner Alrosa announced that it unearthed a 235.16 ct. diamond. It has been valued between $1.5 million and $2 million.
7. 118 Carat D Flawless Diamond More Affordable Than the Orange
The above is true provided you have more than $30 million to throw around. This 118 ct. D flawless oval sold for $238.7 million in Hong Kong dollars (approximately $30.6 million U.S.) at its Hong Kong Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite auction on Oct. 7, setting a new record for a white diamond.
8. 239 Carat Diamond Recovered in Botswana
A huge diamond found by Botswana blah, blah, blah.
9. 25.5 Carat Blue Diamond Found in South Africa
In April, a 25.5 ct. blue diamond was recovered by Petra Diamonds Limited at the Cullinan mine in South Africa.
10. 5.3 Carat Blue Diamond Sells for Record $1.8 Million per Carat at Bonhams
On April 24, a 5.3 ct. fancy deep-blue diamond sold for $9.6 million at Bonhams’ Fine Jewellery sale in London—setting a record $1.8 million per-carat price for a diamond that color.
11. Argyle Finds Three Ultra-Rare Red Diamonds
The year wasn’t all pink, blue, and orange. Red made a statement when Argyle announced in May it would feature three ultra-rare red diamonds in its Pink Diamond Tender, including the 1.56 ct. I2 fancy red, dubbed the Argyle Phoenix.
12. Princie Diamond Is Most Expensive Jewel Ever Sold at Christie’s
On April 16, the Princie, a 34.65 ct. fancy intense pink cushion cut, scored $39.3 million ($1.1 million a carat) at Christie’s New York—making it the most expensive jewel ever sold in the auction house’s 200-plus year history.
13. Napoleon’s Engagement Ring Doesn’t Have to Compensate for Anything
In March, the ring Napoleon gave to Josephine sold for 896,400 euros (including fees), or $1.15 million, at the French auction house Osenat.
14. Gina Lollobrigida’s Earrings, 74 Carat Yellow Diamond Set Records at Sotheby’s
If Gina Lollobrigida’s jewelry collection wasn’t classy enough—Sotheby’s sold the entire lot for $4.96 million—this May auction also featured a 74 ct. yellow diamond that once belonged to a Persian shah.
15. And the Most Disappointing Diamond Ring of the Year Award Goes To…
Kim Kardashian’s 20 ct. t.w. engagement ring from former husband Kris Humphries fetched $749,000 at Christie’s New York on Oct. 15—above its $300,000 to $500,000 estimate, although well below its $2 million reported value.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine