Upscale Swiss watch brand Rolex S.A. recently celebrated the 125th anniversary of its movements manufacturer division with a gala dinner and the opening of the newest addition to its production complex outside Biel, Switzerland.
The movement maker was founded by the Aegler family in 1878, 27 years before Hans Wildorf, a German citizen, co-founded the watch company he renamed “Rolex” in 1908. He used Aegler movements exclusively (beginning in 1905) and later bought the Swiss company.
Manufacture des Montres Rolex S.A., headquartered in Geneva, in October officially opened the 140,000-square-meter green granite and smoked glass exterior “Building VI” at its 10-year-old industrial and administrative complex in Les Champs-de-Boujean, east of Biel, Switzerland. The event marked the end of the transfer of activities to Les Champs-de-Boujean from Rolex’s longtime site in Biel.