E.W. Parker in Madison, Wis., will celebrate its 140th anniversary July 6. The jewelry store is Madison’s oldest surviving retailer and the fifth oldest member of Jewelers of America’s JA 100 Club. Founded in 1857 as Smith Jewelers, the store was purchased in 1916 by Edward Worthington Parker and is now owned by Parker’s great-grandson, John Parker Hendrickson. The family’s fifth generation, Hendrickson’s niece Rebecca Hendrickson, joined the store in 1994.
As part of the anniversary celebration, E.W. Parker will hold a photography show paying tribute to historic Madison. Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson, state representatives and Wisconsin Supreme Court justices are expected to be among the visitors to the store’s celebration.