1. Never hang pearls. This weakens the silk threads holding the necklace together.
2. Never store your pearls in any type of plastic bag. Plastic can emit a chemical that will cause the pearl’s surface to deteriorate.
3. Never leave your pearls near a direct source of heat (e.g., fireplace mantel, television set, stove).
4. Never store your pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for a long time. Pearls need a little bit of moisture or they’ll dry out.
5. Never allow your pearls to make contact with any chemicals found in household cleaners, perfumes, cosmetics, and hair-care products.
Sources: Cultured Pearl Association of America and Jewelry Information Center