De Beers, Anglo Provide AIDS Drugs to Miners

De Beers has announced that it will provide anti-retroviral treatment to its workers, a response to the high rates of AIDS infection in South Africa and Botswana. The company estimates that as much as 12% of its workforce is HIV positive. The program will begin in January 2003. De Beers will pay 90% of the expenses associated with the program, with participants expected to pick up the other 10%. There also will be a global treatment program available to employees' spouses or life partners. Anglo-American, the mining conglomerate that is one of De Beers' owners, has instituted a similar program for its workers. Nearly one quarter of Anglo's employees are said to be HIV positive.
JCK PRO

This content is exclusive to JCK Pro subscribers. Subscribe now to access this and much more with discount code GOPRO21 for $199 for an entire year of access (reg. $249).

SUBSCRIBE TO CONTINUE

Already a JCK Pro? Log in

A JCK Pro subscription is your all-access pass to people and resources on the
cutting edge of the retail jewelry industry, from the industry authority you
know and trust

Learn about the Perks of JCK Pro

Log Out

Are you sure you want to log out?

CancelLog out