The MJSA Education Foundation, a non-profit educational branch of Manufacturing Jewelers & Suppliers of America, has awarded $7,000 in scholarships to six talented student designers.
The following students, including two previous winners, each received a 2008 MJSA Education Foundation scholarship:
• Clara Cho ($2,500) of Providence, who is pursuing a B.F.A. in jewelry and metalsmithing at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence.
• Lucia A. Perluck ($1,500) of Philadelphia, who is pursuing a B.F.A. in metals and jewelry at Temple University’s Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia. This is Perluck’s third consecutive foundation scholarship.
• Cheryl E. Acosta ($750) of Providence, who is pursuing an M.F.A. in metals and jewelry at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence. This is Acosta’s second foundation scholarship.
• Jacqueline M. Bartush ($750) of Paris, Texas, who is pursuing an associate’s degree in jewelry technology at Paris Junior College’s Texas Institute of Jewelry Technology in Paris, Texas.
• Katie Poterala ($750) of Greenville, S.C., who is pursuing a B.F.A. in jewelry and metals at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, S.C..
• Davina R. Romansky ($750) of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, who is pursuing a B.F.A. in metals and jewelry design at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York.
The MJSA Education Foundation scholarships awards scholarships annually and distributes them in partnership with the Rhode Island Foundation to students enrolled in jewelry-related programs at colleges, universities, or proprietary technical schools in the United States. Since 1979, it has awarded more than $100,000 in grants.
These scholarships are made possible through individual donors, as well as endowment funds, including the Karl Augenstein Memorial Fund, the George R. Frankovich Scholarship Fund, the Michael Marcogliese Scholarship Fund, the Andrew & Frances Salvadore Scholarship Fund, and the Walter M. Oppenheim Fund.
Educational programs are also made possible through the support and generosity of the MJSA Education Foundation golf tournament participants.