Ron Harder, president and CEO of Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, announced a management restructuring, which became effective today.
“The management changes draw on the experience and skills of the company’s existing staff,” Harder said. “Our only outside search related to the restructuring will be for a chief financial officer.”
Harder says he has been evaluating the company’s management structure as part of an overall succession planning process for all levels of management and that the changes will “simplify lines of authority and increase span of control for executives and managers. Our leaders will develop broader proficiencies, improve their understanding of the interactions among functional areas, and be able to respond faster to market opportunities.”
Harder adds “As a niche market, our staff has developed unique talents. I wanted to assure that we were using those talents where they are needed most.”
Five individuals were promoted or assigned new responsibilities to the company’s executive team:
* Mike Maley, VP of Underwriting, will assume expanded responsibility for personal and commercial lines underwriting, uniting these areas into one functional division.
* David Sexton, VP of Loss Prevention, will establish a Loss Prevention Department that further strengthens Jewelers Mutual’s expertise in this area and enhances the services it provides to its jeweler customers. Loss prevention is one of Jewelers Mutual’s competitive strengths, and Sexton has been the unofficial leader of that effort in the company.
* Sue Fritz was promoted to VP of Marketing and Communications. She has led the Communications Department and supported the company’s marketing efforts for 10 years.
* Wayne Cwik was promoted to VP of Actuarial Services and JMI Insurance Services. Cwik will direct rate setting, rate and form filings with state insurance departments, and compliance with regulatory requirements. He also will oversee the efforts of JMI Insurance Services, the insurer’s wholly owned agency serving Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, and Washington.
* Connie Rank-Smith is now VP of Human Resources and Administration, adding responsibility for the company’s purchasing, supply, and mail room functions.
Harder will continue in his role as president and CEO. And Darin Kath will continue as chief operating officer.
Other members of the new executive team, which will include a chief financial officer, are Jeff Mills, VP of Claims, and Bev Kargus, VP of Information Technology.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine