Laura Cave, director of trade marketing for The Knot bridal magazine and website, shared her tips for streamlining a commerce site at a session at the American Gem Society’s Conclave educational and networking event in Phoenix April 25. Here are a few of her concerted suggestions:
- Choose clean layouts and white backgrounds. The idea is to give the user air to breathe when they’re shopping. If you have a super-dark background on your site, switch it to a light color or white.
- Photo-driven content is really important. Use large-format photos against white, or create a pin board-style for images. Get rid of a lot of text. People are busy, busy, busy. They need to get in and get what they want.
- Incorporate clear calls to action (buttons or colored sections that instruct users to go to different places on the site, use express checkout, etc.).
- Show off your selection on your site…and don’t forget fine jewelry. You have a huge growth opportunity to build relationship with ring buyers. Brides buy gifts for family and bridesmaids.
- Go mobile. You need to have a site that’s a version of your site, but for smartphones. A mobile website is very simplified—it has large buttons, large photos, clear calls to action. You don’t need an app; a mobile site is much more important.
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine