This week… The “world largest emerald” was a pretty big dud.… J.C. Penney is out to transform retail, one shrieking commercial at a time.… Jewelry demand? Up! Jewelry sales? Up! The jewelry industry? Shrinking! Go figure.… All below…
JBT: Industry shrank in 2011.
NRF survey finds highest desire for jewelry in its history.
– Woman favor jewelry for Valentine’s Day—but aren’t all getting it.
– Ken Gassman: 2011 U.S. jewelry sales set record.
– Can J.C. Penney really be transformed?
– Is pricing strategy the future of retail?
– Are its people up to it?
New head of ABN AMRO diamond division appointed.
– Opens office in Dubai tower.
Pandora names chief development officer.
Trollbeads claims victory in battle over U.S. distribution.
“World’s largest emerald” fails to sell.
– Antionette Matlins: “No surprise.”
Reuters: Diamond prices will be hurt by world economy.
– Idex: “Glut” on rough market.
– Exporters looking to Asia, not U.S.
– Chaim Even-Zohar looks at 2012. ($)
Zimbabwe rough hurting prices?
– Marange goods given final approval.
– Avi Krawitz: Can industry absorb all that rough?
Another diamond organization at the KP?
Brands at JA show stress “individuality.” ($)
Trustee files motion to put Michael Beaudry Inc. into Chapter 7. Just to clarify, this is the Michael Beaudry Inc. company, not him personally.
– Beaudry designing with new company.
Confession in Antwerp diamond industry murder.
Wisconsin retailer Robert Haack dies.
– Local newspaper remembers.
Man behind “Kay Diamonds” (not Kay Jewelers) pleads guilty to various crimes.
Florida’s Sun-Sentinel on the “jewel thief underworld.”
Review of Sundance “blood diamond” documentary.
Citizen involvement in Botswana diamond sector “limited.”
Indian tribal women to be trained in cutting, polishing.
South Korean ministry raided over “diamond scam.”
Security tightened at Swaziland diamond mine.
Who will find Arkansas park’s 300th stone?
Drew Barrymore feels a little weird about big engagement ring.
Michigan TV station says “ignorance is bliss” when diamond shopping.
Elite Traveler promotes the Forevermark.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.