Before I get to this week’s tidbits, I should note that “Cutting Remarks” now has RSS syndication. I finally feel like a real live blog! Just click the orange button next to the blog title. I attempt to explain RSS as best I can down below. But first, your diamond news, this week …
– Has synthetic diamond manufacturer Apollo, which plans to manufacture colorless diamonds – as opposed to the fancy-colored ones the other “cultured” guys are making – finally gotten its act together? Is De Beers planning to go into synthetics? (I think so.) Are some synthetics undetectable? Chaim reports. (UPDATE: Here is GIA’s opinion on this last question.)
– Traffic “light” on Basel’s first day.
– Ha’aretz article on the diamond trade and De Beers. It claims Israeli sightholders are worried all the DTC’s best diamonds will go to Africa, and therefore won’t apply for sights. Something tells me DTC executives aren’t too worried about that.
–Now India’s gunning for Antwerp
-Rapaport is planning a diamond futures market. I think I’m getting flashbacks.
-Tiffany gets nice press for a diamond they loaned to the Smithsonian.
-Chinese jewelers hope to spark a “diamonds for men” trend.
– Charles vs. Varda. Part 85.
– Last week’s Herald Tribune article on Bulgari remaking itself.
– Grooms only spend one month salary on engagement rings, plus other engagement ring fun facts, from Ken Gassman.
-P Diddy’s giving his newborn children diamond earrings. I have a friends in their 40s who don’t have diamond earrings.
ROB’S RSS TUTORIAL: Well, I am not sure I understand RSS fully, but this is how I, at least, do it. If you click the orange button, it will take you to a second page where you can scroll down to where it lists “Cutting Remarks” (as well as all the other fine JCK blogs.) So click on the orange “XML” button, then click “subscribe” or whatever it says, and it will add a list of this blog’s articles to your “Feeds” (if on the latest version of Internet Explorer) or to your “Bookmarks Toolbar Folder” (if on Firefox.) It’s not the greatest thing in the world but it may save you a minute or two. Check it out …
And enjoy your weekend.