The news from the retail scene really isn’t bad … In fact, it’s pretty good. Retail sentiment is actually upbeat since “Black Friday.” But as for trade sentiment, it still has a lot of catching up to do. There is more scientific retail chatter below.
Here’s the news:
– November results: Jewelry “strong” at J.C. Penney and Saks, “weak” at Target and B.J.s.
– Bailey Banks and Biddle sales down.
– QVC has “best weekend in history.”
– Will December sales equal November’s?
– The “super-rich” will spend more. But middle class is pulling back.
ABN Amro Diamond Division sold to Fortis? (See update.)
Sam Merksamer leaves the Natural Colored Diamond Association.
More Leviev protests.
Police seek New York jewelry store robber. FYI, the new Phillip Seymor Hoffman movie, “Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead” is about a jewelry store robbery and features a sleazy 47th Street diamond dealer.
IPO for Alrosa?
– Financial Times on De Beers and beneficiation.
– The Economist on De Beers’ sale of its Cullinan mine.
– The New York Times on fashion brands selling jewelry and giving jewelry as a “push present.”
– Dallas Morning News give “lesson” on diamonds.
– A Boston Globe essay about passing on engagement rings.
– Kiplinger’s says to buy diamonds online
– Voice of America on Sierra Leone’s diamonds and Indian polishers.
Have a great weekend …Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine