Here’s the news:
Economic optimism reaches 20-month high.
– Are we seeing a thaw?
Signet annual sales down 8.8 percent. But sales in last seven weeks down “only” 2.7 percent.
– Signet’s “U.S. domination.”
Tiffany Q4 sales down 20%.
– Beats estimates; stock surges.
– Company “retains luster.”’
– Projections more “real.”
Zale share’s rise. Hit $2!
– Ratings reaffirmed.
– Insiders buying.
– Hires real estate advisors.
Finlay officially delisted.
Blue Nile shares rise.
– Company “struggles.”
US trustee challenges Robbins Brothers plan.
Boscov “rebound”? (via retailwire)
Gottschalks auction this week.
Charles and Covard sales down 55%.
Victoria and Co. cuts 70 jobs.
Alliance Time acquires Colibri brands.
Henricks in Bonita Springs.
Ben Bridge’s Sancramento store.
Illinois drops luxury tax.
Botswana expects diamond sales to fall by half.
JVC: Rough diamond reports due April 1.
Chaim on De Beers bank questionnaire.
“Troubled times” in the Yellowknife diamond industry.
Austrian diamond dealer “bankrupt.”
IDI gets new deputy managing director.
Diamond Empowerment Fund promotes co-presidents.
– New York Times blog on diamonds and money laundering. I’m not sure why they would call diamonds a “criminal’s best friend,” when they made it clear this was a rare diamond auction.
– New York Times at Treasury diamond auction.
– The Telegraph reports from Zimbabwe on the diamond-related issues.
– Gawker notes that diamonds aren’t doing well.
– Dubai newspaper on diamond smuggling.
– New York Times article on sustainable luxury mentions De Beers.
– New York Times on diamonds and watches.
– Gizmodo on diamond etchings. As with the Gawker article above, the comments are not exactly industry friendly.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, and/or spam selling me Viagra: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.