The mood (and it seems the economy) has improved a bit, but we are clearly not out of the woods yet. We still have a long way to go. But things are definitely going in a better direction that they were, say, in January. Let’s hope that continues.
And here’s the news:
Fed: Economy may soon stabilize.
– Every state now in recession.
– Consumer confidence flat.
Basel “better than expected.”
Randy McCullough leaves Gitanjali USA.
– Gitanjali: We’ll keep expanding.
Niwaka USA goes bust.
Gottschalks to liquidate.
– Sign of “too much retail.”
Shane closes three stores.
Robbins Brothers bidder: It’s us or nothing.
AGL re-purchased from Collectors Universe.
– Beesley distances himself.
New York luxury tax defeated.
– JA fights LIFO repeal.
Hedge fund reduces Tiffany holding.
– Tiffany “could regain its sparkle.”
Retail stocks may have bottomed.
– A pretty good week for jewelry stocks..
Leviev: Diamond prices rising.
Israeli polished exports decrease 56%.
De Beers stops exploring in Congo.
Diavik scales back production.
Chaim on the Botswana tenders.
– New Botswana mine could produce by 2010.
Rio Tinto “committed to diamonds.”
Gem Diamonds may close Australia mine.
Interview with Zale VP about ecommerce.
Macy’s accused of hampering children’s jewelry investigation..
100-year-old Zell Jewelers in Oregon. Part of the Finlay saga.
Man sues jeweler over 33 carat diamond.
Sotheby’s to offer big blue stone.
– Petra has high hopes.
New “conflict metals” campaign.
– Strategy paper mentions gold, tungsten. (PDF) There is also talk of “blood diamonds,” but the reference is not unflattering to the industry.
No sale for Modern Jeweler publisher.
Michelle Obama compares children to diamonds.
Fiance drops ring off Brooklyn Bridge. Amusing video.
– The Hindu on the industry’s problems in Antwerp.
– Mmegi on the industry’s problems in Japan.
– Voice of America on the industry’s problems in India.
– Foxnews.com has discussion on industry – and not just about its problems! Amazing!
– Forbes calls diamonds “thing to buy.”
– CNN interviews president of LVMH jewelry division. (video)
– Indiana Daily Star student doesn’t like diamonds, and calls the industry “a well-oiled machine.” If she only knew …
Have a great weekend …
I’m So Into This Web 2.0 Thing
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, and forwarded jokes from my relatives: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.