Well it’s clear, based on the number of “picking up” and “signs of hope” articles this week, that things are definitely on a bit of an upswing, even if the good news is not yet impacting every quandrant of this industry (ahem.) So, as a commenter said a few weeks ago, it looks like a slow road back, but the good news is we appear to have stopped the downward spiral.
And now the news:
Online jewelry sales rising more than other categories.
Retail sales decline in March. “
Richline buys Colibri assets from Bidz.
Luxury retailers beef up outlets.
Kenny G on Harry Winston.
Bulgari sees “rebound.”
Llye Rose goes to Jewelry Brands.
Israeli rough trader in receivership.
Anglo-American: No “further loans” for De Beers.
De Beers restarts Botswana mining.
– Debswana, unions reach agreement.
ABN Amro comes to Botswana.
– US readies Botswana factory “bailout.”
SA Times: “Sparks of optimism.”
Times of India: Diamonds “political dynamite.”
– Indian relief package stalled.
– Workers see “ray of hope.”
Alrosa plans 21% production cut.
– Asks Russia to stop gem sales.
Angola: Diamond demand picking up.
“Blood diamond” bust at JFK airport.
NY Post: Brides settling for CZ.
James Avery opens 50th store.
Gitanjali to expand in India.
Hearts on Fire wins round against Blue Nile.
De Beers sues IT firm.
Bidz CEO gets raise.
JCK lays off 7.
– My thoughts.
Weird story: Diamonds stolen by hypnotist.
Cremated wife now diamond ring.
– The New Jersey Star Ledger on “blood diamonds.”
– AOL blog on diamond pricing.
– Business Week on the new gold jewelry boom.
– Consumerist takes on Zale.
– The Telegraph talks to Congolese miners.
– Travel article on Botswana, mentions diamond industry.
From the Blog:
Well I’m happy this week is over. Enjoy your weekend, everyone …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, hate and/or love mail: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.Follow JCK on Instagram: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine