Hey all … If I had to describe the industry picture these days, I’d say “we are out of the crisis, but still in the recession.” I think we can all agree that this recession has gone on far too long, and we’re all eager to see the back of it.
On a related note, the main word I’ve heard to describe the recent InStore show is “upbeat.” I can’t tell you how many people have described it that way. This follows the AGS conclave, which I also heard described as “upbeat.” So there have been good moods at two industry events in a row … Wow! What industry are we talking about, anyway? Very nice to see, and let’s keep it up.
And now the news …
Jewelry demand stabilizes.
– “Signs of recovery” in luxury market.
Rappers tone down the bling.
Carlyle shuts Greensboro office.
– Finlay staying in New York.
– Finlay execs retire.
Robbins Brothers update.
Shop NBC jewelry sales drop 32%.
“Cash4gold” bill passes Florida Senate.
Blue Nile gets downgraded.
– Stock gains.
– “Significant appreciation” in stock.
Modern Jeweler: Closeouts on the high end.
Schwartzchild Jewelers president steps down.
Seeking Alpha: Zale “likely to survive.”.
BRC DiamondCore may liquidate.
De Beers gets new money laundering software.
Motley Fool UK on Petra Diamonds.
The Kimberley Process and Zimbabwe.
– More on “conflict minerals.”’
– Robert Fowler freed. Formerly very active against “conflict diamonds.”
Indian diamond brokers killed
– Murder “well-planned.”
Charlotte Preston, Kenny G team up.
New York magazine blog touts a jewelry sale.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, etc.: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.