Happy weekend, everyone. Here’s the news …
W.R. Cobb acquires B.A. Ballou.
Retail sales fall in April.
– Some retailers still expand.
More brides renting jewelry.
JCK publisher resigns.
– Mitch Horowitz joins MSJA.
Fortunoff intellectual property auctioned.
– Reveals FTC investigation.
Seeking Alpha on Blue Nile.
Neiman Marcus renegotiates debt.
J.C. Penney’s earnings fall.
Zale rally: Sign of recovery?
Blue diamond sets record auction price.
NY Times on Russian stockpiling.
– My thoughts.
– De Beers: “We’re still the leader.”
– Alrosa scraps dividend.
India: “Signs of revival.”
– Surat factories start up again.
– Others switch to embroidery.
Namibian cutting industry “at a standstill.” Very interesting story.
Congo to resume diamond mining.
Botswana newspaper reviews “diamonds, dispossession” book.
Jail term for Zimbabwe diamond dealer.
43 carat diamond property of US government.
Jeweler arrested for not returning customer goods.
Man arrested for counterfeiting jewelry.
Date change for Tuscon gem fair.
Houston Museum gets “Diamonds” exhibit.
– “Butterfly of Peace” exhibited.
Woman trades diamonds for African water wells.
Voice of America on green gold.
Chinese newspaper on its jewelry industry.
The BBC on mining in Venezuela.
New Statesman on the industry.
From the Blog:
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, hate and/or love mail: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.