So for any newcomers, this is my round-up of the most interesting stories and other stuff from around the web. It’s posted every Friday at around 2:15 – 2:30 .. .And here’s the news …
Michael Beaudry goes Chapter 11.
– Court papers with creditor list.
Luxury recovery in 2012?
Interview with Ian Smillie on Kimberley Process.
– Resignation “a great loss.”
– PAC’s “conflict diamond” newsletter. (PDF)
– U.S. issues Guinea KP certificate warning.
Zale wants to get “released” from Bailey lease obligation.
30 West 47th Street sold.
Chaim investigates: “Why not more wholesale bankruptcies?”
JVC files brief in De Beers anti-trust action. It should be noted that, as the release states, the appeals were brought by consumers, not De Beers. Whatever you think of De Beers, they would like these issues over, for their own reasons. Remember, this was a settlement (which means there was agreement between the parties), not a judgement. And finally, anyone who expects a lot of money from this, well .. I wouldn’t count on it …
Botswana signals “parallel” sales channel.
– Penny: “Benefication will work.”
De Beers ordered to reverse SA layoffs.
– De Beers considering.
More on De Beers’ finances.
Diamond mining called “most troubled sector.”
Yellowknife diamond factory (Arslanian) “in limbo.”
Indian exporters seek $4 billion in credit.
– Small diamond prices jump.
– Diamond cutting “on road to recovery.”
– Film about plight of Indian diamond polishers.
Rapaport interviews Alrosa president.
Layoffs at Borsheims.
Tiffany gets more hagglers.
AGS suspends awards.
Jose Hess signs with La Vie.
Russian Senator, allegedly linked to conflict diamonds, denied Canadian visa.
Carrie on jewelry at the Tony’s.
Obama gets jewelry in Saudi Arabia.
Dow Jones on jewelers cutting margins.
The Telegraph on ethical jewels.
Kiplingers on “cash for gold.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
Me, In All My Web 2.0 Glory:
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin
– Email for tips, comments, hate and/or love mail: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.