So anecdotally, speaking to a bunch of jewelers out there, the mood is pretty upbeat and people are hopeful. The reports from the media are mixed, but things certainly seem better than last year at this time. Please share your sense of how things are shaping up in the comments …
And now the news …
Spendingpulse: Jewelry sales up 4.6%.
Black Friday mixed: shoppers up, spending down.
– National Jeweler survey finds good results.
Is the luxury rebound premature?
De Narp new Harry Winston CEO.
Emmaunel Perrin new head of Cartier North America.
Cyber Monday spending up.
Blue Nile: Our best Cyber Monday – ever.
– More good news from Blue Nile here.
– Blue Nile looks at gold “auditing process.”
Zale speaks on payments.
– In the no publicity is bad publicity department: Tiger Woods talked of “going to Zale” to get a “Kobe special.”
Finlay sales approved.
– New Finlay 8K with operating report.
– Finlay opened new Baileys before filing.
Saks Nov. sales down 23%.
A new “homage” to Everlon.
Charles and Covard now compliant with NASDAQ.
– Show got 14 million viewers.
– My thoughts.
– Conflict gold “a growing issue.”
De Beers shareholders cut debt.
– Will ownership structure change?
– Mineweb: De Beers “on its knees.”
– Chaim: No, it isn’t.
– How will Botswana find money?
Pink diamond sells for $10 million.
Endiama sees market improvement.
– Romania investing in Angolan industry.
De Beers South Africa town hall called “blunt.”
Debswana project creating 1000 jobs.
– De Beers: Aggregation still moving to Botswana.
De Beers to add 175 jobs at Snap Lake.
– Signs “impact benefit agreement” with locals.
KP claims authority for semi-cut diamonds.
Marange diamond fields playing role in Zimbabwe budget.
Zimbabwe holds Indian man over diamonds.
– South African diamond dealing cops get bail.
Petra Diamonds raises $120 mil.
Armenia vows to help diamond industry.
Polishedprices: WFDB approached us first.
National Jeweler may be bought by Murdoch’s son, others.
Jeweler, robber shoot each other.
Paragon Lake hires online marketing director.
Guy Kowasaki headlines AGS Conclave
Diamond portraits of Monroe, Obama, etc.
Michelle Obama wears nice earrings.
The first diamond driedel.
Invanka Trump offers room with engagement ring.
There’s a horse named “blood diamond.”
– ABC News says diamonds will do well this holiday.
– Florida newpaper finds diamond business strong
– Jewish Telegraph Agency on Antwerp’s Jews.
– Minneapolis Star Tribune: Couple upset with poorly designed ring.
– The New York Times visits the diamond district.
From the blog:
Have a great weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin.
– Email for tips, comments, press releases: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com