Before we start, let me give a little plug for the JA, JFC Haiti fund. It’s a great gesture that will hopefully do some good…
And now the news …
Zale CEO, others resign.
– GLG: Zale’s “last chance?”
Signet up 5.6%.
– Sterling closing stores, Mark Light will not be group CEO.
– Official release. (PDF)
Tiffany up 17%.
Birks and Mayors up 6%.
Colored Stone magazine folds.
Maurice Shire dies.
21 Indians arrested in China for diamond smuggling.
– May remain in custody for a while.
– Indian press: They’re being “harassed.”
– … But getting vegetarian food.
– Government to assist.
– Arrests creates “anxiety” in Surat.
– Indian-Chinese trade’s future “at stake.”
– Industry “shouldn’t be surprised.”
De Beers: Botswana agreement still valid.
– Local editorial speculates about future.
Debswana may increase output 17%.
Who authorized aborted Zimbabwe diamond auction?
– My thoughts on latest “mess.”
– Controversy over diamond board appointments.
– Government mining company leaves Chiadzwa.
Congrats to Cheryl Kremkow, now of Paragon Lake.
Stuller hires new chief technology officer.
JCOC: Diamond issue awareness “grows.”
– Chaim: Survery “seriously flawed.”
Sherenuj predicts revenue growth.
Lazare Kaplan opens office in Israel.
GIA moves to new “Gem Tower.”
Large diamonds found in South Africa.
Armenia diamond production decreases.
NY dealer robbed in California.
Charges dropped against British jeweler.
Utah jeweler fights with customer, who claims stone swapped.
Naomi Cambell given blood diamond?
– FoxBusiness on the state of the industry. A lot of people recommended this article.
– NPR on “other blood diamonds.” (Three are gems.)
– NPR on Cartier exhibit.
From the Blog:
Again, here’s the Haiti fund. Have a great weekend …