Self-promotional note: I will be speaking at the GIA Alumni Association Manhattan Chapter on “Hot Topics on the Diamond and Jewelry Industry” on Wednesday, March 10. Should be fun. Details here.
And now the news:
“Old guard” seeks return to Zale.
– Shares surge.
– GLG’s: Is it too late?
Zale’s 2Q financial results.
Consumer confidence down.
Chaim: Problems at GIA India?
– Increase “as much as 9%.”
– Prices to be kept stable.
Charles and Colvard sales down 34%.
Diamond district robbery “staged.”
A good primer on Louis Nchindo story from the Mail and Guardian.
– The “plot thickens.”
– Revelations led to dispute with lawyers.
International Diamonds and Gold inventory purchased.
Update on Indians detained in China.
Giant rough draws record price at auction.
De Beers announces leadership changes.
Mugawbe “sucked into diamond saga.”
Rio Tinto looks for RJC certification.
Jeweler accused of killing wife gets mistrial.
Couple charged with ring thefts.
Enterpreneur rates “A Diamond is Forever” the most brilliant marketing idea … apparently ever.
Hillary Duff’s engagement ring details.
– The Street on avoiding conflict diamonds. This is not a particularly well-thought-out article. First off, the KP, whatever one thinks about how it is currently going about its business, is legally binding; the System of Warranties is not. Secondly, it would have been nice if the author consulted with an NGO on this topic, instead of people trying to sell something. For the record, there are other diamonds that don’t fuel conflict that aren’t Canadian or lab-grown.
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend …
Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin.
– Email for tips, comments, press releases: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com.