This week … The forecasters have spoken about this Christmas! Their predictions: Meh! … Also, the hourglass economy: Not quite as popular as the hourglass figure … Plus, Blue Nile puts out what it calls the “Manliest Press Release Ever,” except for the time Chuck Norris challenged everyone to a brick-eating contest… All below …
Big Picture Monday on Friday:
– Jewelers may have “better than expected” holiday.
– Jewelry market has “recovered from recession.”
– NRF: Holiday sales to rise 2.8 percent.
– Mid-priced retail suffers in “hourglass economy.”
– Luxury retail “about to tank?”
– The “extremely affluent” still spending.
– The inevitable angle: Steve Jobs and the luxury business.
Same-store sales rose 5.1 percent.
Zale and Signet meet the investors.
Rap: Diamond prices keep falling.
– “Changes” (from what I hear, declines) on Rap round list.
– Polished prices see some stabilizing.
Alrosa trying to keep market stable.
– Rough market “in a rut.”
Flash jewelry site Ajaline closes.
Costco raises membership fees.
W.B David lawsuit against De Beers tossed out.
Rhode Island jeweler found guilty of tax evasion.
JewelPops sues Helzberg over Kameleon.
HRD vice president Daniel van Dievoet dies. So young. What a terrible tragedy.
Indian diamantaires taking extra-long Diwali holiday.
– Manufacturers “sitting around.”
– Industry in for “dull festive season.”
Edahn Golan: In time of uprisings, industry’s image at risk.
Chinese miner in Zimbabwe can’t sell diamonds.
– Zimbabwe govt. newspaper: Eject NGOs from Kimberley Process.
Sierra Leone filmmakers frown on Ed Zwick/DiCaprio movie “Blood Diamond.” “The plot, controversies, film casts, and soundtracks about the film are all total misrepresentation[s] of Sierra Leone.”
Diamond Bourse of Canada opens office in China.
Botswana sets up independent sales mechanism.
Sotheby’s selling 110 ct. yellow.
Cartier named “top luxury app.”
Blue Nile releases “manly” press release.
– Posts video/commercial on Funnyordie.
Alexis Bittar says Kim Kardashian’s a copycat.
Tiger Woods signs deal with Rolex.
Bruins ring has lots of diamonds.
From the Blog:
Feel free to comment on any of the above in the box below, and enjoy your weekend …
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck@jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Twitter: @jckmagazine
Follow JCK on Facebook: @jckmagazine