This week … NBC was unhappy with the gold business … An NGO was unhappy with the diamond business … But the holidays? Looking kind of happy! … All below ..
Christmas “exceeding expectations.” What I’m hearing as well.
– Lower price points rule.
– Has Black Friday become all season?
NBC newsmagazine covers artisanal gold mining.
– Touts “fair trade gold.”
Global Witness Takes Marbles, Goes Home
– NGO Global Witness leaves the Kimberley Process. I can’t see anything positive coming out of this.
– “Blood Diamond” director Edward Zwick breaks the news in the Huffington Post. He needs a spellcheck.
– Cecilia Gardner mixes it up on CNN (video).
– Chaim Even Zohar: Where do we go from here? [$]
– Edahn Golan: Global Witness “failed.“
– State Dept. comments (at very end).
NGOs call for new system.
Chain of custody: How the Forevermark does it.
– RapNet: Polished prices up slightly in November.
– Idex sees them softening a bit.
– DTC “adjusts” prices at last sight.
Big diamonds fail to sell at Sotheby’s.
San Francisco Chronicle: Jewelry stocks lose luster.
Motley Fool: How three jewelry companies thrived during downturn.
Banks line up for Graff IPO.
Harry Winston suffers third quarter loss.
Marange mine hit by strike.
– Auction gets underway.
New store sells only synthetic diamonds.
– Scio Diamond presentation.
Chinese jewelry mislabeled as Italian.
Pennsylvania planning to collect Internet sales tax.
Indian diamond traders held in China freed.
Tache signs deal for diamonds from Jericho mine.
State Dept. wants “foreign affairs officer” for Kimberley Process portfolio.
GIA supports beneficiation efforts.
DTC Botswana names new managing director.
Diamond Empowerment Fund announces “good citizenship” awards.
Congrats to Ron Samuelson, for getting one million “diamond” fans on Facebook.
Tiffany partners with Pandora (the music service).
Rosie O’Donnell sports engagement ring.
– Huntington Post asks about gay engagements.
– The New York Times on the rise and fall of Pandora (the jewelry brand).
– CNBC interviews Blue Nile CEO.
– Business Insider likes the new Gem Tower.
– Time on the guy who prospects for leftover jewels in the “diamond district.”
From the Blog:
Have a great weekend!
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.