This week … A leadership change at David Yurman … One coming at Jewelers of America… And all the majors did okay at Christmas. How about that … All below …
JA CEO Matt Runci to retire. Huge news.
Former Urban Outfitters head is new David Yurman CEO.
Fossil buys Skagen Designs.
Record number of jewelry crime arrests in 2011.
Tiffany sales up 7%, but adjusts (meaning lowers) guidance.
– Results called “lackluster.”
– Stock drops hard.
– “Ominous” warning about the economy.
– Barrons: It will shine again. [$]
Signet holiday sales rise.
– So did Zale’s.
– Birks & Mayors’ did as well.
NRF: Holiday sales “better than expected.”
Jewelry tanks at Target, big at Bon Ton.
Rue La La lays off 11 percent of staff.
Will 3-D printing make infringement a breeze?
Jeweler’s Facebook post sparks gossip furor.
Indiana to collect Internet sales tax.
– Florida governor may sign web tax bill.
“Huge” diamond mine found in China.
RapNet: Diamond prices rose 19 percent in 2011.
– Idex says 17 percent.
– Ken Gassman: Diamonds versus other investments.
Hold those checks?! Lawyers says latest De Beers anti-trust opinion “ripe” for judicial review.
People in Israel bourse arrested.
Angola: The other blood diamonds.
Mugabe’s claiming gold deposits too.
Zimbabwe takes over Chinese diamond company.
“Ice Road Trucker” wants to explore for diamonds.
Graff seeks return of allegedly stolen diamonds.
Scio Diamond secures patent in China.
J.C. Penney gets new chairman.
JVC appoints new assistant general counsel.
M&S Turquoise founder dies.
Longtime retail consultant (and occasional industry speaker) George Whalin dies.
Canadian gifts to royals donated.
Katie Holmes has a very revealing jewelry ad.
Top five jewelry-loving celebrities.
Jeweler accused of selling swastika earrings.
I feel like I’ve linked to every diamond-covered object under the sun. But this is new … the diamond encrusted bottle of mustard.
– Also, diamond-studded business cards.
– Read this Benzinga article for the out-of-date views many people still have of the diamond trade.
– This article by Canadian publication MacLeans, on the Oppenheimers leaving De Beers, is far more with the times.
From the Blog:
From JCK Magazine:
My article on search engine optimization.
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.